PDA

View Full Version : importing and exporting text files with Alpha Five

ABC123

Robert Lundquist
08-22-2003, 10:33 AM
I am considering moving to A5 from A4. One major program that I would like to move to A5 requires that I import and export text files from a DOS based data collection program that I cannot afford to re-write.

In A4, the importing and exporting goes very smoothly without any data loss. We wrote scripts to transfer the data in and out.

In reading about A5, I cannot determine if this type of data transfer will work. It looks like importing may work, but I see nothing about exporting text file data.

Can someone help me with the answer. If the answer is "yes" I will immediately purchase A5 and start the transfer.

Best regards, Bob Lundquist

Al Buchholz
08-22-2003, 12:27 PM
Bob

You can import and export text files from version 5.

I'm going to guess that you are looking at the menu system under file and seeing the references to import, but nothing referencing export.

Instead of that, press the operations tab on the control panel and then press the new button.

That will lead you through all of the possibilities - including imports and exports.

Best of luck and welcome to Alpha 5 version 5!

Tom Cone Jr
08-22-2003, 01:39 PM
Robert, I daresay that if you can do it successfully using Alpha Four, you'll be able to do it using Alpha Five. The proof is in the pudding, though, so why not download the evaluation version and give it a try ? If you hit snags, turn to the Alpha Five Version Five message forum for help.

-- tom