PDA

View Full Version : Importing Sets/Tables/Reports to A5v5 from A4v6

ABC123

Scott Benson
07-15-2003, 12:32 PM
I can import all the database files but some information won't show up. What I really need is to add in the reports that I currently have in a4v6. I don't see any way of converting these files. If you know of any way to import these please let me know.

Scott

rtbtat
07-15-2003, 12:57 PM
Hello Scott:

You can use your A4 dbf files directly in Alpha Five [there is no import required]. However, you cannot use any of your A4 forms or reports. There is a good reason for that, A5 uses a different paradigm, so the world of DOS no longer applies.

But here’s the good news. After you add your new tables [dbf files in A4] to your new database, you can quickly and easily have Alpha Five create default Forms. You can then use a brand new feature called “StyleSheets” which allows you to choose colorful data entry forms from a list of pre-designed templates.

As for reports, Alpha also has a Quick Report option, which will get you started.

Robert T

davej
07-15-2003, 04:11 PM
Scott,

As Robert says, the ONLY part of an A4 application that you can pull into A5 are the .dbf files. EVERYTHING else has to be recreated.

When I went through the conversion, I did two things that I found helpful. One was to go into A4 and print out the report definitions and form layouts (screen capture is helpful as well) and I used them as a guide while I was on the A5 side. The other thing that I did was to bring the A4 application on my laptop, step through the menus/forms/reports and duplicate in A5 what I saw in A4. Not very sophisticated, but it worked.

Dave