View Full Version : Conversion from .dat files to A5 Home/Business Edi

ABC123

Bill Dremann
05-27-2002, 07:23 PM
Some years ago I wrote a program in Clarion for a Rent-to-Own/Furniture
company... This program now has over 10,000 contracts... I would like
to covert this program to Alpha 5 for networking... Is there any way
possible to convert these existing .dat files without loosing any of
the existing information?... Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Thomas Henkel
05-28-2002, 10:19 AM
Does Clarion have any type of Export function? If so, can it export to some sort of delimitted ascii, or, possibly to foxpro .dbf files? If so, then you are in good shape. Your DATA will come over to Alpha just fine. You will, however need to rebuild all of your screens and reports. You would be better off going with the latest version instead of version 1. Alpha has many tools for importing data into its tables.

Good luck,

Tom

Bill Dremann
05-28-2002, 10:53 AM
Yes, Clarion has an Import/Export functions... Input type: Clarion, dBase,
DIF and BASIC... Output type: dBaseII, dBaseIII, DIF and BASIC... With this I assume I can convert the DATA even though I will need to build all the screens and reports... If not successful then I will go to the latest version instead of using version 1... Thank you for all your help in this matter...

Thomas Henkel
05-29-2002, 10:13 AM
Even with the current version, Alpha still uses .dbf format for the databases. You will be much better off using the latest version. I have ver 1.02, and since I grew my application so much, it is very difficult to convert to the new xbasic. I will make the conversion, though, because it is worth it for all of the new features.

If you export to dbase III or IV, then Alpha should be able to read the files directly.

Bill Dremann
05-29-2002, 11:41 AM
Thanks Tom... I will try the conversion and if I have to many problems I will go I will go to the latest version of Alpha 5... Good talking to you and
thanks again...