PDA

View Full Version : Another Memo Problem


ABC123

Ed Shatzko
04-11-2002, 12:27 PM
I've gone over many of the problems noted in this section including Mike Carter's but I didn't find any solutions to my problem.

I had some files under the original Alpha 4 program which I converted to Alpha 5 V1 recently. All appeared ok except that I lost the memo content. I decided to re-enter this info manually, knowing the difference in compatability could have caused this, but each time I go to the next entry the info posted dissappears. I also note that in reviewing the Field structure, I'm locked out of making any changes in the Memo field. There is no simple solution in the manual that I could find.

Help please.

Thomas Henkel
04-11-2002, 12:41 PM
By "locked out", do you mean that you cannot enter info into the Memo Field?? We use memos all the time, and they can be tempermental at times, but they always work.When you double-click in the memo field, does it bring up a "notepad" type editor? If so, does it allow you to edit?

Can you try to post a sample to this board or e-mail directly to me and I will check it out.

Tom

Ed Shatzko
04-11-2002, 02:12 PM
Hi Tom,

Many thanks for your reply. No, the memo screen comes up for each line like it should when I click on to the pencil button. The first time I recall I had to click on the top bar to bring up the data on the right side of this screen which includes the save button. But each time I click save or F9, the info dissappears. The same thing happens in both Forms & Browses. I've gone to the Field Rules and scrolled down each Field which is open for change but when I get to the Memo field the whole area is greyed out. I assumed something structurally had to be changed but I'm not sure what?

Thanks.

Ed

Thomas Henkel
04-12-2002, 05:57 AM
I'm not quite sure what is going on, but check the size of the .fpt file. We have encountered instances where it is enormous (>2GB). This sometimes happens, and the only thing to do is to somehow repair the memo file. Melvin Davidson has posted a Memo repair routine in the code archive which works great. If that isn't the problem, post a sample, and we (I am not alone) can check it out. I am sure that someone will come up with the solution.

Tom

Melvin Davidson
04-12-2002, 07:56 AM
Ed & Tom,

There goes my name again! :)

Seriously, based on the fact that the problem also appears to occur with fields in forms, I suspect a permission problem.

Check the properties of the folder where the .dbf's and .fpt's are located. See if somehow the Read Only attribute has been selected.

regards,
Melvin

Thomas Henkel
04-12-2002, 08:35 AM
At least this time, I remembered.

Melvin could be right. I never asked you how the system was set up. We have all our databases in separate folders on a server. it is shared for full access by all users. A5 kinda wants full control for updates to all of its dictionaries, indexes, etc.

Tom