PDA

View Full Version : Copying a record

ABC123

Richard Murgittroyd
03-04-2002, 04:44 PM
I've recently copied my alpha4 database into alpha5. With the windows version I cannot copy an entire record as I could in alpha4.

In alpha4, if you are on a particular record, you can copy that record. However, in alpha5 the "copy record" will only copy the last record.

Can anyone offer a "simple" way to do this? I've tried highlighting the entire row in a browse table and trying to copy to clipboard and paste, and also tried to click and drag but these didn't work.

Thanks,
Rich

Thomas Henkel
03-05-2002, 07:33 AM
Did you try the "copy" operation? Using this, you can copy a particular record or a group of records using the filter function. You can get extremely intricate in your copy requirements. If that doesn't work, you can always use x-basic, but that is an entire other lesson. Check out the "tools" tab. Maybe the "append" operation is what you really want.

Richard Murgittroyd
03-05-2002, 08:08 AM
I copied the record to the clipboard; however, when I tried to paste it, all the information from all the fields was pasted into the first field of the browse table. I tried pasting when the entire row for the new record was highlighted as well as when the cursor was in the first field of the the browse table.

I have only a single database for entering orders - there are no masters, so I don't think append would work. I believe there will not be a simple answer to this one, but thanks for trying.

Rich

Thomas Henkel
03-05-2002, 08:39 AM
Are you trying to Duplicate data from one record to the next??

If you just want to copy ALL the data from record 1 to record 2, per say, just use the CTRL+R Function.

Consult the user's guide pages 4-10 & 4-11.

Sorry, I thought you were going from database to database.

Tom