PDA

View Full Version : Access denied messages

ABC123

Rick Butler
01-28-2002, 06:31 PM
Have used A5 v1.02 for years. Run it successfully on 2 Dell P3-866 machines running WinME. Have run it on P4 machine with WinME. Have run it on lesser P2 machines running Win95 and Win98 and Win98SE. None of these machines runs share.exe or vshare.386 by the way. Am now trying to run it on Dell Latitude laptop P366 running Win98SE. Starting A5 I get message: "Error access denied occurred while trying to start application". The A5 screen does appear. I can browse through database lists in database>open. If I try open a form (all of which are properly listed)I get message: "Cannot open specified Database/Set(access denied)...followed by the name of the database I attempted to open. Doesn't matter what I set sharing in windows explorer to, or whether I set full access or not.

What am I missing? Why is this machine any different?

Also, does anyone know if A5 v4.5 or v5 will convert my databases and forms properly. Use no scripts except the Y2K date change fix script.

Thanks very much in advance.

Rick in KC

French
01-28-2002, 06:35 PM
If you wrote your data files to a CD to transfer them to the laptop, you need to remove the read only attribute from the files after copying to the laptop hard drive before you can use them.