PDA

View Full Version : Restructuring a large database

ABC123

Colin Younger
06-07-2001, 11:24 AM
I have a large database (4MB +)I need to restucture. When I try to save the changes it gets to about record 6600 and fails with a SmartHeap Library Error - MEM_TOO_MANY_PAGES followed by "Out Of Memory".

The machine has plenty of physcial memory (256MB) and it fails on other smaller machines at the same point so I guess it is some sort of software / OS limitation.

I'm running both 95 and 98SE and both get the same message.

Any ideas how to get around this limitation?

Thomas Henkel
06-11-2001, 09:45 AM
Colin,

I have databases that are much larger (14-50 MB) and I have no trouble restructuring. Are you sure that you are using ver 1? I have never seen a HEAP type of error in this version.

You may want to try maintenance first to clean up your dictionary. then maybe pack the database, then try restructuring.

Tom

Colin Younger
06-13-2001, 10:27 AM
Hi Tom

Thanks for the reply.

Yep, I'm on v1.02. I tries your suggestions and ran Maintenance and Pack but with no change. I then went sequentially through the records from the last number posted (6610) to find that 6618 is corrupt and crashes the system if I try to view it in form mode. I guess a memo field is the problem so I'll try to correct that and then restructure.

Again, thanks for the advice.