PDA

View Full Version : Corrupt Database

ABC123

Chris Concepcion
04-16-2001, 07:29 AM
My xxx.fpt has grown to over 2GB in 3 months and we hardly use the system anymore. How do I get it back to its original size which was only about 400MB?

Thomas Henkel
05-29-2001, 02:06 PM
Did you try "Maintenance" This is supposed to compact the database anad related files. We have had those problems. I will check with my programmers to see if we can remeember how we got past it.

Tom

Chris Concepcion
05-29-2001, 02:15 PM
Thanks for the reply... Yes I have tried the maintenance and the end result was that the file size did not change. I went through DOS to view the file and it seems to have all the data from the previous years and towards 1/2 and 3/4 down I have blank spaces and then more records. Any help that you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Allen Klimeck
05-29-2001, 06:21 PM
I think that you have to create a new table with the same structure and append the old table to the new one.

Chris Concepcion
05-29-2001, 06:26 PM
Allen,

again thank you for replying...how does one do that with Alpha? I was a programmer at one point in time so I understand what you are saying but I do not know Alpha well enough to attemp something of that nature. Then there is the importing of the data...

Lowell Wardlow
05-29-2001, 06:32 PM
Chris - I may just be stating the obvious , but if you "rarely use the system anymore", could you just replace the .fpt file from the last known good backup ?

Lowell

Chris Concepcion
05-29-2001, 06:44 PM
Lowell,

Thank you for your reply... Though it is not used as much now in contrast to the past, it is still being used on a daily basis to comprise quotes for our clients and internally. Unfortunately no on the back up idea because of several reasons that are too long to elaborate. But to make you feel better, that was the first thing I thought of also.

Allen Klimeck
05-29-2001, 07:43 PM
To see the old structure open that table and choose the restructure button on the database tab. On the database tab choose the create button (open a new database option) and build a new (database / table) using the same structure as the old table. (In version 1 a table was called a database I haven't used version 1 for a long time.) Than open the old table and on the tools tab choose the append button and append the old table to the new one. I hope this helps I'll try to be more specific if you need more help.

Melvin Davidson
05-30-2001, 05:05 AM
Chris,

Check the COde Archive for my posts of
DB Recovery advice - 05-14-2001 13:01
and
Memo field repair scripts 11-02-2000 15:44

They should probably help you for just this situation.

regards,
Melvin