PDA

View Full Version : Can't Open Alpha5- PleaseHelp!

ABC123

Sue Reuser
02-02-2001, 11:48 AM
I believe I have Ver 1.02 but I can't get in to look. I was entering data in a form and using a db lookup. I had made several entries and everything was working fine. The popup window has a list of my data and also some buttons I think there was "cancel", "enter" and some others but I can't remember for sure. I had fininsed selecting my data and was trying to get rid of the window. I'm not sure what I clicked on but it locked up alpha 5. I closed Alpha 5 and now I can't open it any more. Does anyone know what I might have done? Why can't I get into the program and what do I do now?

Sue

Lowell Wardlow
02-03-2001, 03:33 AM
Sue - can you describe exactly what happens when you try
to access A5 - do you get an error message, or does it
just do nothing at all ?

Lowell

Sue Reuser
02-03-2001, 06:32 PM
This is strange. It fixed it's self. I just opened it today and the database that I was usings looks OK too. I had tried several times to open it yesterday. I guess shutting down the whole system is what fixed whatever was wrong. I did get an error message. It would try to load and I would see the Alpha 5 logo window then a windows error window would pop up on top of it and I could only close.

Do you think that there would be something wrong with the lookup window that caused this. Is it OK to use it again?

Thanks for your help.

Sue

Lowell Wardlow
02-04-2001, 02:40 AM
Sue, it has been my experience that any time you get an
error message while running A5, it is best to completely shut down and reboot the computer before trying to get back in. Some errors may have to do with memory management.

It is probably ok to go back in now that it is coming up.
You may have some problems. Have you run the maintenance program ?

What was the "Windows" error ?

Lowell

Thomas Henkel
02-05-2001, 04:58 AM
Sue,
What is happening is that when Alpha crashes, it doesn't completely clean itself out of memory. if you hit ctrl/alt/delete and get the active task list, you will find an occurance of A5 somewhere in the list. If you end that task, you can go back in without rebooting. We found a reset utility that aids in this endevor. I have attached it. When you double-click on the button, nothing appears to happen, but alpha can start back up afetrwards.

Tom

Melvin Davidson
02-06-2001, 03:57 AM
Before the doing proverbial reboot, you should try running the Reset.exe in the A5 directory. That usually cleans things up and allows A5 to run again.

regards,
Melvin

Sue Reuser
02-06-2001, 07:20 AM
Thanks for the reset program.

Now I have another question. Why does alpha 5 crash so often? My other programs don't do this. What do I do wrong? I have lost data in some data bases and I never did figure out why or how to keep from doing it again. What do people do who use this a lot? Do you keep 2 copies of each database current? Seems like a pain. My other programs don't have these problems. Sure wish I could figure out what I do wrong.

Sue

CALocklin
02-16-2001, 07:52 PM
Sue, it's really hard to say exactly why your machine has 'so many' crashes. It's usually an issue of hardware, memory, etc. and it might even be a software compatibility issue. (I'd swear I used to run into more problems with A5 after I ran AOL but I haven't seen this lately.)

You say you don't see this with other software. What other software do you use? Databases (all of them) tend to put a huge load on the system - far more than word processors or spreadsheets. So, unless you are comparing this to other databases or, perhaps, a professional level graphics program (I don't do much graphics so this is only a guess) then it's quite possible that you can expect more problems with A5.

I have a 'clone' 350Mhz PII with 128 meg of ram (I think RAM is a key factor) and a fast 20 gig hard drive and have few problems. Based on the experiences of some of my clients, you could even have problems with a similar 'definition' computer from Aptiva, Compaq, and a few others due to proprietary systems that aren't always compatible with a true 'clone'. (By the way, even IBM is no longer compatible with the 'IBM Clone')