PDA

View Full Version : Database Error-HELP

ABC123

Jan Long
12-04-2000, 05:33 AM
I have a database I use named WINTER2000. All of a sudden I can not open it. The error that comes up is the following:
A5 has caused an error in A_IUTIL.DLL and will now close.
I have tried using the maintainance, my back-up disk of the database and I have tried reinstalling Alpha5. No luck. Yet I can access another database named FALL2000 with no problem. Is there anyway I can fix this?

Melvin Davidson
12-04-2000, 10:35 AM
Your problem might be simple or not.

A5V1 does like file names greater than 8 characters.
Try renaming all WINTER2000 files to WIN2000.

If not,

Try renaming, but don't delete
WINTER2000.ddd
WINTER2000.ddm
WINTER2000.ddx

If you can then access the database (.ddd, .ddm & .ddx)
are recreated but you will lose all forms, reports, etc.

If FALL2000, has the same structures, forms, reports, etc.
you might be able to fully recover using the BORROW app
that was posted a long time ago. If you don't have it, let me know and I'll try to locate it.

Jan Long
12-04-2000, 01:13 PM
I will give it a try. I do not have the BORROW app. so if you can find it I would really appreciate it. I have a lot of forms,letters and reports on it and I would hate to have to redue all of them.

Melvin Davidson
12-05-2000, 08:26 AM
Jan,

I have reposted the BORROW app to the code archive.

While you are there, you might benefit from my
Improved Documentor, Memo Field Repair scripts &
Lotto Picker Demo app.

In addition, please also see my Guide to resolving DB corruption I posted earlier in this section.

Enjoy,
Melvin

Jan Long
12-05-2000, 07:57 PM
This may sound stupid but where is the code archive?
thanks

Jan Long
12-05-2000, 07:59 PM
Stupid is RIGHT! I must be having a BLONDE moment, I found it.

Melvin Davidson
12-11-2000, 04:54 AM
Jan,

After you finish dyeing your hair some color other than blond, it would be nice to know if my advice helped.

If you don't write back, I'll just feel like you used me and dropped me. :)

Melvin

Jan Long
12-11-2000, 06:49 AM
Sorry Melvin, it was rude of me not to reply sooner. I was running up against a deadline so what I ended up doing was making a back up copy of the Fall database and then just changed the records necessary for me to update my files. I think I am just make a "Master" copy of the database and make then make one off of it that I can change as needed. That way I won't have to redue all the forms, letters etc.
Do any of the later versions of Alpha make it easier to make an exact copy of a database with all the scripts, letters, indexes being updated too? Every 3 months we get a new batch of students but I like to keep the old databases on the computer for about a year so I can easily look up old records. Thank You for your help.

Melvin Davidson
12-11-2000, 10:05 AM
Jan,

You can easily copy ALL records AND Forms, Reports, etc.
Just select the DB in control panel.
Then Database, Duplicate.

Very Important! BEFORE running the duplicate option,
Click Duplicate in the menu and then Options and check off
Duplicate records, Duplicate indexes.

I guess I misunderstood your initial problem, as you said you had corruption, which means the initial db is unavailable. I didn't know they had the same forms, reports, etc.

Note: you can also use the Copy DB providing you select all fields.

Please note, if you copy a DB to a different name, you have to change the scripts where they refer to a specific DB name.

You can also use duplicate for a .SET. Only the set name changes, but DB's referenced retain the same name.

Regards,
Melvin