PDA

View Full Version : Compatibility of conversion from V1.1 to V4

ABC123

Donald McCausland
11-22-2000, 03:41 PM
I am a moderate user in version 1.1 and want to upgrade to the newest version, v4, to be able to take advantage of the win98 file name lengths as I presently am only allowed (8) characters. From the info I have read under "compatibility" there may be script updates necessary in this conversion but I am unaware of what this means.

If someone has been throught this, please provide some info on it as I am just learning quite a bit about the old version and have created a moderately complex database and supporting documents, etc. I don't want to lose them or the data they contain - - it is too important for me. These are the records for an organizations for a number of years. I am holding off purchasing the update until I feel comfortable with it.

Thanks

Lowell Wardlow
11-23-2000, 10:27 AM
Donald -

If you do a search on this board for "UPGRADE", you will find many chains discussing this issue. In brief, most, if not all, of your v1 system will run "as is" in V4, and can be converted to the new syntax later. There is no change to the actual data file (dbf's).

Be sure to copy all your existing files to a new folder (directory) before adding them to your new A4 databases.

If you are using card stacks, they will, for the most part, run ok, but you would probable be better off to create new menu forms.

A few things don't work - ie, db_reset(). You must replace all these with "filename/set.table_open" , or open a form which is based on the dbf or set required.

Also, even though it is possible to create names like "Vendor Master File", it is MUCH better to use "Vendor_master_file" that to leave blanks between words.
There are some actions that you might take that simply dont work with blanks in the name.

Use the genies as much as possible - if you want to play around, convert the genies code to xbasic and see exactly what the xbasic code is .

Just remember that even though there are a LOT of new features, you don't really have to be an expert on all of them to get started. And there will be a lot of help available in the v4 board if you need it.

Good luck
Lowell

Good luck

Donald McCausland
11-23-2000, 05:16 PM
Thanks, Lowell. Well, I guess I'll forge on ahead with V4.

Don