PDA

View Full Version : Duplicate or Copy a Database

ABC123

Jan Long
11-03-2000, 04:58 AM
I have a database named FALL2000. I have tried to make an exact copy of it with all the letters, reports and forms etc., calling the new database WINTER2000. I have tried both ways using the copy card and the duplicate card. I can get the database with records and the form ok but when I try to print any letters or reports it tells me that there is no database. What am I doing wrong and which should I be using, copy or duplicate? Thank you for any help.

Lowell Wardlow
11-03-2000, 05:59 AM
Jan - I allways use copy. When you create it (from Control panel, Tools, Copy) there is a "copy" entry on the top of the screen. Click it, select "options", be sure "copy data dictionary" is marked (X).

How are you trying to print the reports ? If the data dictionary is also copied, all reports, etc., from the original should be with new database.

Lowell

Jan Long
11-03-2000, 06:04 AM
I have done that. The database is there as I can see the records. It also copied the form, but when I try to print a report or a letter or mail label it says no database. I can bring up the say letter,mail labels in design view and it tells but it tells me that I have a bad expression. i even tried to rename the expression to the new database name --no luck.

Lowell Wardlow
11-03-2000, 06:11 AM
Jan - if you can bring them up in design mode, then bring each one up and select File, Save. If there are any conflicts this will (should) resolve them to the new database name.

Lowell

CALocklin
11-06-2000, 03:36 PM
Jan, did you get this resolved?

Jan Long
11-06-2000, 03:57 PM
I am sorry to say not yet. It is very frustrating and since time was of a concern I had to use an older database (Alpha 4) to get the work out on time. I am planning on going back and trying to figure out why it won't work.Thank You for asking.

CALocklin
11-06-2000, 06:07 PM
Using the latest terminology where "table" refers to a .dbf file and "database" refers to the collection of tables and sets:

Assumptions: (1) You want to copy the whole database to "Winter2000" and will not be using "Fall2000" unless you open the old database. (2) You keep the application, database tables, etc. in their own directory separate from the A5 program files (executables). (Note: If you are not keeping them separate, you really should - it makes life much easier.)

In this case, I would start by using Windows Explorer to make a new directory and copy the all the files from the old directory to the new directory. Then you have at least 2 options:
- You can simply zap the old data and use the existing tables, etc. as-is.
- You could copy the table(s) to a new name BUT watch out for all the saved operations or any scripts you may have created because they won't recognize the new tables until you modify them. I suspect this may be the source of your problems - either in a script on a button or fields/calculated fields/variables in the reports which are still referring to the old .dbf file (table).

If, on the other hand, you want to keep the old files and simply add a new 'table' to your existing database, you should be able to do that with the copy operation but may need to fix the buttons, operations, etc. to work with the new table.

If you can't get this resolved, you can e-mail me directly or even send me your files and I'll see what I can find.

Cal

Jan Long
11-06-2000, 08:16 PM
CAL,
I will give it a try and will let you know what happens.
Thank you so much for following up. It is appreciated.
Jan

Jan Long
11-09-2000, 11:24 AM
YIPPEE!!! That did it. Cal, thank you so much, it really saved me a lot of work. You guys are GREAT!
Jan

CALocklin
11-10-2000, 06:43 PM
Glad I could help. And, thanks for letting us know the problem is solved.

Cal