PDA

View Full Version : no more files #2

ABC123

Rick McFarren
10-09-2000, 08:04 AM
Have an application that has been working for several years. Customer bought a new 500mhz PC with Windows 98. The application gives an error message "no more files" when running a script that summarizes data then append it to a file for specific reports. The application runs fine on my machine 166 mhz and Windows 98 and my notebook 100 mhz and Windows 95. All 3 machines have files, buffers, and stack parameters set identically in config.sys. Also discovered that the application runs fine on the subject machine if Alpha 5 is opened and the application is run from the APP tab, but gives the "no more files" message if ran from a desktop shortcut.
thanx,
.....rick

Lowell Wardlow
10-09-2000, 10:05 AM
Rick
Error 18 is a dos error, not an alpha error.
I just spent a frustrating hour in the internet and reading all my old dos books for a better explanation and/or fix,
with very little result.

One source says in effect "This error is of a class originating at the server. They usually indicate a failure due to bad parameters, insufficient permision, etc."

Question: is this particular PC running on a network ? If not, then the above is probable not applicable.

Further question: Does the application even load, and if it loads, can you run anything else, if started from the desktop icon? If at doesn't load, then maybe there is something wrong with the shortcut. If it does load,and runs some things but not others, then maybe there is something wrong with your path's.

How much memory is on the new machine ? Are you loading any memory management in autoexec or config.sys ?
Are all your files in one folder (directory) ?

Also, there does not seem to be much support left for v1 users in this board. You might try putting this in the v4 board or calling Alpha Tech.

Sorry not to be of more help.

Lowell