PDA

View Full Version : Hidding A5 program interface when running an app

ABC123

Derek
09-27-2000, 11:53 AM
Hello all:

I know this can be done, because I've seen it... but I can't remember where nor can I remember how. I also can't seem to locate it in any of the manuals I have on it (although I am sure it is hidden there somewhere).

What it is:
I am writting an application just using one application card as my password front end. I launch from a desktop icon with the -a= option... launch works perfectly as does the password thing itself.

However, when A5 is loaded, it's shell is visible (i.e. the menu, the title bar, the background with the "Trace" and "Interactive" icons showing; the minimize, close, and maximize buttons in the right upper corner also showing.

What I want to do is somehow have the application turn all of that off, so that when the desktop icon is double clicked and the application loads A5, all you see is the application's card and NOT the A5 program itself.

If anyone knows/remembers how to do this, could you please let me know ASAP.

Thanks so much in advance.

Derek

Melvin Davidson
09-28-2000, 06:16 AM
Derek,

The only way you can "adjust" the A5 shell (menu bar) is if you have A5V3 or greater. However, in V1 you can hide the debug and trace icons if you include the -d and -i flags in the startup command line.
EG:
C:A5A5.EXE -i -d -a=c:a5your_app_diryour_app.apd

Hope that helps,
Melvin

Derek
09-28-2000, 10:00 AM
Thanks Melvin:

I did know about those two. But I could swear! that I saw an application that when called from a desktop icon, came up without the A5 shell behind it.

I just need to try and remmeber is this was BEFORE or AFTER a 6pack! hehehehe

Cheers

Melvin Davidson
09-28-2000, 10:36 AM
Probably AFTER a 6 pack or multiples thereof. Unless of course you were looking at a V3/4 "application". :)

BTW, the flags are documented in the README.WRI that was included with the v1.02 patch

Regards,
Melvin

Thomas Henkel
10-25-2000, 12:37 PM
In version 1, there is a wonderful product called runtime. It is a set of executables that only allow users to run a5 applications. We use it here extensively. We have 5 development licences and the unlimited runtime licence. We load the runtime modules onto the 300+ user systems, point them to the applications and databases on a large server, and we're off to the races. The users only have the ability to run the developed application, nothing else. It works great. If you are a consultant, this wil protect you from users changing your code.
Any other questions, e-mail me.

Tom

Derek
10-26-2000, 04:24 AM
After thinking about it a bit more, I think that it was in fact after I bought version 3.x that I saw the hide thing (although, that cause me to access extra 6 packs! LOL).

I didn't like 3.x so I went back to 1.2 and stayed there. oh well.

Cheers

CALocklin
11-19-2000, 07:13 AM
Tom,

With that many network users, you might want to consider upgrading. I'm sure you know about V5 coming out and I'm still waiting to find out about all the goodies in that. BUT, the big thing is the network optimization already available in V4. It makes your applications run almost like they are loaded on the local drive. This is because all the forms, reports, etc. actually are. Only the data itself is sent over the network so the network usage is dropped significantly and the user sees much faster operation locally - forms on my system load 4-5 times faster.

Cal

Thomas Henkel
11-20-2000, 08:56 AM
Cal,
As I've stated before on this baord, we are in the veerrry long and arduous process of converting our app(s) to version 4. Because of size, and the incredible volume of xbasic code, we need to proceed slowly. We also have some issues with passing variables from app to app. We are hoping that ver5 will allow us to call one app from another.

Tom