PDA

View Full Version : converting to ascii

ABC123

HOWARD WEINSTEIN
04-20-2000, 03:30 PM
Is there anyway to make an ascii file of a database? I want to bring database data into EXCEL

Lowell Wardlow
04-20-2000, 07:26 PM
Howard - under TOOLS, use the EXPORT card. You can export the selected data in any number of formats, including EXCEL.

If you need help with it, just holler

Lowell

HOWARD WEINSTEIN
04-21-2000, 09:42 AM
I am hollering haha

Here is the situation.........I am with a recreation department. Our database is our registration system. All of our programs has a code.

I am trying to convert information from individual programs. Any ideas?

Melvin Davidson
04-21-2000, 01:38 PM
Howard,

I'm not sure what you mean by

"All of our programs has a code."

WHAT code? What are you trying to do with it? I'll be glad to help, but you're going to have to be a little more specific about the actual problem.

HOWARD WEINSTEIN
04-25-2000, 03:18 PM
Hi there:

An example of a program code..........lets saying that you are signing up for a college class, that class most likely has a CODE.

The way our registration system work......I enter your phone number, it brings up your address and family members. I pick the family member that i want. I click a button called "REGISTER", I enter a program code for a class, and the class info will appear. So the CODE is attached to a database that has info on the classes.

Does that make sense?

Melvin Davidson
04-26-2000, 12:47 PM
Howard, if you want to send your records from the database
to an ASCII file, then from a previous response

"under TOOLS, use the EXPORT card. You can export the selected data in any number of formats, including EXCEL."

To be specific:
In the control panel:
1. Select the database you are going to export (create an ASCII delimited file of).
2 Click the Tools tab.
3. Click the Export button.
4. For Export type:, either leave it as Character separated (*.asc)
OR choose Table ASCII file (*.tbl)
5. If you want the column names as the first row of data, then leave Field names: as Export, else chose Omit
6. Depending on your Export type, choose Settings.... and select accordingly
7. For Export file:, give it the path and filename you want the data in.
8. Under the Select fields for export:, you can either choose the fields and order, or just click the Select all>> button.
9. Under the funnel (filter) button or Export, Range.. in the menu, you can specify an expression for only the records you want, or ignore this for all records.
10. Click the Exclamation (!) button or Export, Do It! and do what you have to do with the file created!

I can't make it any simpler than that.