PDA

View Full Version : Incremening field

ABC123

Gerry Oehring
04-01-2000, 07:24 AM
Okay, guys and gals, is there anyway (preferably simple way) that I can have an incrementing field increment by 10's instead of 1's?

Again, many thanks from an Alpha Five beginner

CALocklin
04-01-2000, 04:31 PM
There are certainly other ways but one thing worth trying would be to create an incrementing field and a calculated field which is defined as the incrementing field times 10. Then you would only display the calculated field. Of course, this means that your calculated field, which the user sees, would always end in zero.

The only other idea I can think of right now would involve scripting and a second table to hold the last value.

Cal

Gerry Oehring
04-02-2000, 11:33 AM
Thanks Cal,

Please notice that I said a "simple way." . However, I did find a way that meets my needs. The incrementing field is being used for the express purpose of sequencing drop stops for newspaper distribution. The reason for wanting to increment by 10's is so that I can easily insert stops into the sequence or to reorder the sequence. I simply defined the field as having on decimal point. My first record shows 1.0 the second one shows 2.0, etc. Thanks again for your thoughts, Cal

Lowell Wardlow
04-06-2000, 07:18 AM
Gerry - but if it's an autoincrement field, how will you enter 1.1, 1.2, etc. ?? Wont the field increment by either a whole number (1) or, decimal (.1) when you enter new records ??

Lowell

Gerry Oehring
04-06-2000, 10:13 AM
Lowell, yes, it increment by the whole number, but I can go back and change it to a decimal. I am using this field to properly sequence stops on routes. Sometimes a route driver wants his stops in a little different order than the dispatcher has ordained. So if he wants stop 005.0 to come between 001.0 and 002.0 we simply enter 001.5 and the record will fall into the proper sequence. It seems to work okay.