PDA

View Full Version : character lenght

ABC123

lkatz1
06-26-2001, 07:25 AM
Is there anyway to make an expression by number of character ex if there is only 2 characters of data in the word -1 which then be a state Ex; we have a field that has city state zip some have all information some not we would like to break it up into several fields so which ever word is only 2 characters long will be the state

Also we would like to delete it at that time from this field and only have it in the state field

Vince McGinnis
06-26-2001, 04:13 PM
David,

There is a genie that should do what you need.

First, you need to add new fields to your table for: City, State and Zip Code, as applicable.

Then:

a. from the control panel, select the operations tab, then click on "New"
b. select the "Update records" operation
c. select table containing the field you wish to break up
d. select "Use Genie"
e. Under the "Character" Tab select: "Break a city, state, zip field into its parts"
f. The genie will take you through the steps required to put the city, state and zip data in the new fields.
g. when you are satisfied that the genie cleaned up the data correctly you can remove the old field, but you better check the data well.

lkatz1
10-31-2001, 07:11 AM
We didn't find anyplace use genie in update

CALocklin
10-31-2001, 02:30 PM
Are you using version 4 or 4.5? If so, right click the table, click "Operations/Define New Operation..." Then scroll down and click "Update Records". The default choice is "Use the update genie".

If you are still using v1, this option does not exist. You'll have to create the appropriate updates 'manually'.

CALocklin
10-31-2001, 02:35 PM
Sorry, I forgot I was in the v2/v3 section. The genie exists in version 3 but I don't have v2 loaded so I can't verify v2.