PDA

View Full Version : Exiting a form

ABC123

Jeremy Packman
04-02-2000, 03:06 AM
I have what must be a simple problem but can't fix it.

A table has a field called REF which is the only indexed field in the table. I have created a simple data entry form, the first field being REF. After completing all record entries I click the 'close' X at top right of form window. I get a message saying something like 'Field REF cannot be blank'. So in order to close I enter a few random letters in REF field, and then click the X. The message 'do you want to save entry in progress' shows and I click NO. I am then able to close the form.
I tried using a simple button with Form...close actions, but I get the same problem.

How can I close the form without having to go through this 'performance'. I know I must be missing something obvious.........Thanks in anticipation

PS This site is a GREEEEAT improvement!!

forskare
04-02-2000, 05:03 AM
Jeremy,

There is something wrong with one of your fields, perhaps the REF field. Sounds like your using two tables and perhaps a browse on the form? I think, that if the browse was created at set level rather than embedded, you will not be able to add data into the browse. I need more info about how you set this up. I'm not an expert but I might be able to help.

kenn

forskare
04-02-2000, 05:12 AM
Jeremy,

I reread your message. You didn't say if you initially enter data into the REF field each time a record is created. If not, the indexed field WILL require a number or character, depending on the field's format. That is why most folks use the auto incrementing feature or a specific case #. It appears that you are not entering data into the REF field and because the field is indexed, its doing its thing, asking for data so the record can be properly indexed.

Hope this helps,

kenn