PDA

View Full Version : Field Rules - Lookups

ABC123

Norman Kagan
03-23-2005, 03:20 AM
I am using Alpha5 v5 with Windows XP.
In the field rules I have made a lookup list.
1. Is it possible to copy this lookup list to a different field in the same table:
2. Is it possible to copy a lookup list to a field in a diffetent table?

Thanks
Norman

Cheryl Lemire
03-23-2005, 04:12 AM
Norman,

""1. Is it possible to copy this lookup list to a different field in the same table""

To the best of my knowledge, the answer is no. If you let us know what you are trying to accomplish, why you would want to copy the lookup to a different field in the same table, we might be able to give you an alternative.

Example: If you are trying to populate multiple fields based on a specific lookup, you can do all of that within the one field. If you need different filter criteria, then you would need to create a separate lookup for that field. Of course, now this would not be the same lookup so a copy would not do the trick anyway, at least not with some modifications.

""2. Is it possible to copy a lookup list to a field in a diffetent table?""

Same as above.

Good luck
Cheryl

Norman Kagan
03-23-2005, 04:36 AM
Thanks for your prompt reply Cheryl.
My table has address fileds in it. There are numerous people in my database that operate from a small number of buildings. I have put the building name as well as the addresses in the field rules lookup list. To cut a long story short, I changed a few fields and now need that lookup list to be in a different field. Being lazy, I was wondering if I could copy the lookup list into the new fields' field rules rather than retype it.
I also use those same buildings and addresses in another database. It looks like I must stop being so lazy and just re-enter the lists.

Thanks

Norman

Edward Larrabee
03-23-2005, 04:42 AM
If the list is going to be reused, and especially if it is going to chang over time, you might be better to put the data into a table and do a table lookup.

Lynda Huddleston
03-23-2005, 07:15 AM
If I am understanding you, then yes it is sortof possible

For example: I have a lookup in the sales order that brings the customer with all address and account info over when they select on. Some like to do this by entering a customer name, some by customer number so I built the same lookup for both fields.

When I finished the customer name lookup list, I just highlighted the row of field mappings CTRL C copied, went to the cust number field, selected lookup table and then CTRL V - pasted the list in. Not sure if this is what you mean, but hope it helps.

Norman Kagan
03-23-2005, 07:36 AM
Hi Lynda,

I cannot believe that I did not try that. It is so basic AND WORKS.
Thanks
Norman