PDA

View Full Version : Help Files for Runtime?

ABC123

WesOlfert
03-14-2005, 06:01 AM
Is there such a thing already in existence as a USERS GUIDE for the Runtime Version that eliminates all the extra stuff that would be needed only in the Full Version? A USERS GUIDE in pdf fomat, and/or a HELP.CHM type file, etc.? As I am developing my application (my first one) I see that I will need to distribute some information about using the various standard features of Alpha 5. Also I will need to ADD some application specific information also -- maybe as a separate file? or by editing a standard help file?

Some suggestons from you experienced guys/gals will be appreciated. I'm hoping I don't have to reinvent the wheel!

davej
03-14-2005, 10:46 AM
Wes,

I'v never seen a runtime-specific help file. If the application is developed well enough, and that is a BIG 'if' for all of us, the Alpha help file will only serve to confuse the end user in that a good portion of the full version fuctionality isn't available in the runtime and the end-users probably shouldn't have access to most all of the runtime 'behind the scene' functionality either.

You could develop your own application-specific help, either in .hlp or .chm format.

Dave

WesOlfert
03-14-2005, 02:26 PM
Thanks for your reply. It's true that a LOT of what's in the Help File would not be needed for Runtime, but there are a lot of basic database principles that could educate Runtime Users in the operation of the Menus, Toolbars, etc. that are available to them. We assume too much when we think people understand all these things. For those who need the most basic of instruction it would be nice to include something. I am trying to make my app foolproof and goofproof, but you know how that goes!!

davej
03-14-2005, 03:07 PM
Wes,

It really does sound like you are heading towards either a custom help file (.hlp or .chm) or a printed guide.

Dave

Edward Larrabee
03-15-2005, 05:35 AM
What information should be included in a Runtime help file?