PDA

View Full Version : Running reports

ABC123

Brenda Hakimi
03-09-2005, 07:42 AM
Hi,

I am very new to Alpha 5. I looked in the archives to see if my question has been answered before but I am so unfamiliar with this program I have no idea what I am looking for so I appologize in advance.

I am proficent in the AS400 and running queries in it. I am trying to edit an existing report. It is pulling all records that have the word "active" in a certain field. I need to edit the report so that it does NOT pull anyone with the word "candidate" in another field. I clicked on the report then clicked on design. I then clicked on "select records" I then clicked on "filter expression" and tried adding this - Mem_Level .NOT.="candidate" and I get a message that says "Expression does not evaluate to a logical value"

Currently the only thing in the filter expression is -Status="Active"

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Romy Huang
03-09-2005, 07:59 AM
.not. Mem_Level ="candidate"

or

Mem_Level"""candidate"

Al Buchholz
03-09-2005, 08:04 AM
Brenda

Welcome to the Alpha community!

Brenda Hakimi wrote:
-------------------------------
Hi,

I am very new to Alpha 5. I looked in the archives to see if my question has been answered before but I am so unfamiliar with this program I have no idea what I am looking for so I appologize in advance.

I am proficent in the AS400 and running queries in it. I am trying to edit an existing report. It is pulling all records that have the word "active" in a certain field. I need to edit the report so that it does NOT pull anyone with the word "candidate" in another field. I clicked on the report then clicked on design. I then clicked on "select records" I then clicked on "filter expression" and tried adding this - Mem_Level .NOT.="candidate" and I get a message that says "Expression does not evaluate to a logical value"

I think you want to use the following syntax.

.NOT. Mem_Level = "candidate"

or

Mem_Level "candidate"

Let us know if that does it for you.

Check the help file for operator refernce for additional information.

See attached image.

Currently the only thing in the filter expression is -Status="Active"

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Brenda Hakimi
03-09-2005, 08:05 AM
I am still getting the same error message when I do either of your suggestions. Here is what I typed in:

Status="Active" .NOT.Mem_Level"""Candidate" do I need a space somewhere?

Brenda Hakimi
03-09-2005, 08:06 AM
Am I even in the right place to be editing? I went to design, then select records.

Al Buchholz
03-09-2005, 08:14 AM
Brenda Hakimi wrote:
-------------------------------
I am still getting the same error message when I do either of your suggestions. Here is what I typed in:

Status="Active" .NOT.Mem_Level"""Candidate" do I need a space somewhere?

No you need to use this.

Status="Active" .and. Mem_Level"Candidate"

Be careful with the upper and lowercase of Candidate. It will need to match or you need to use the upper() or lower() function to make work regardless of the case.

ie.

Status="Active" .and. Lower(Mem_Level)"candidate"

Brenda - is that the only word that will be found in the field Mem_Level? Or could there be multiple words in it?

ie:
Candidate - junior grade
Candidate - senior grade
Candidate - unknown grade

Brenda Hakimi
03-09-2005, 08:40 AM
I still can't get it to work. and what is the difference between an export and a query? and why are they set up differently?

Brenda Hakimi
03-09-2005, 08:41 AM
It is the only word in the field

Brenda Hakimi
03-09-2005, 08:47 AM
lol I finally just cut and pasted what someone typed and I think it worked! You guys are da bomb! Thank you!