PDA

View Full Version : Forcing A5 Close

ABC123

Lynda Huddleston
03-06-2005, 09:13 AM
I want to run processes at a programmed time each night that require everyone be out of the A5 program. I have written a script a5.close() and put it in the autoexec script with a scipt time play - but it doesn't seem to work. I have 30-40 people using on the network, and it never fails someone leaves it open when they go home.

What I need is to close all sessions of A5 (runtime) througout the network before executing the other timed functions. I also don't want to risk corrupting the Db by letting the network just shut down and re-start.

It seems so simple, but I can't seem to make work. Any suggestions?

Dan Blank
03-06-2005, 12:26 PM
Hi Lynda

I think the following article will help.

Shut Down You Alph Five Network.

If memory serves me well I think Martin Cole has a similar articel in one of the newletters.

Dan
Dan Blank Databases, Inc.

Lynda Huddleston
03-06-2005, 01:45 PM
I read this article, but it seems like much more than I need. I don't want to create a table where I can shut people down, but one that i can do on a timed schedule at 9:00 each night so that anyone that hasn't logged out, will be shut down.

I have timed scripts that run during the night that can't run if anyone is in Alpha. But I also don't want to have the server automatically boot them because I'm afraid of data corruption, etc.

Does this make sense? Is there something in the article that I missed that is what I need?

Tom Cone Jr
03-06-2005, 02:07 PM
The techniques for closing the open workstation applications described in the article give to you should work fine. Instead of having the workstation scripts wake up and look at the table to see if it's time to shut down, the scripts could check the time clock. -- t