PDA

View Full Version : Error in Action Script

ABC123

johnhpratt
03-01-2005, 05:02 PM
I am trying to compose an Action script but when I open the Code Editor the Untitled tab and the Add New Action button are missing.In a few seconds the message "Unhandled exception. Alpha Five will do a forced termination." appears and the program shuts down. Can anyone tell me what is wrong?

Ed
03-02-2005, 04:21 AM
John, what you see is usually the result of incorrect scripting, coding, possibly bad data or some other anomaly.
I've found that happens when a script or operation references something invalid, such as a missing table, field or similar.

I can't be more specific, because the error is so general, but that's where I'd start.

johnhpratt
03-02-2005, 09:56 AM
Thanks for the help Ed, although it doesn't suggest any way to cure the problem. I'll try changing some things and see what happens.

davej
03-03-2005, 07:54 AM
John,

Does the problem occur when you try to create an Action Script for a particular object (button, field, form, etc.)?

The 'Unhandled Exception' error has been cussed and discussed on this, and other of the Alpha boards. If you do a search, you might find something that will help resolve your particular situation.

With nothing else to go on other than the details you have offered, I might suggest compacting the database, or reinstalling Alpha Five.

Dave

johnhpratt
03-03-2005, 06:57 PM
I would like to go back and restate my problem more clearly and describe the actions that I have taken to try to solve it. I start Alpha5, open a database and choose Code Editor from the View Menu. Then I click on the Action Script icon and the Code Editor opens. I click on the Add New Action button and I get the "Unhandled exception. Alpha Five will do a forced termination" message.

It does'nt matter which database I open; the same error occurs. I have reinstalled Alpha5V5 without any effect. I have also run Scan Disk and Disk Defragmenter on my computer. Surely, someone must have run into this same problem and found out how to solve it! I'm hoping for a helpful answer.

John

Cheryl Lemire
03-04-2005, 04:56 AM
John,

I just followed the steps you gave opening several different applications that I have. I was unable to duplicate the error and created several action scripts using your steps.

Sorry I was not much help. What build are you using? Compact all of the databases you are working with.

Thanks
Cheryl

johnhpratt
03-04-2005, 11:57 AM
Hello Cheryl:
I Found that Code Editor worked OK in Safe mode, so then I ran my Enditall program that closes all open programs before I started A5. Then Code Editor worked ok and I was able to complete my action script.

Thank you, John