PDA

View Full Version : script recorder window

ABC123

M_Mowat
02-27-2005, 01:41 PM
The script recorder window in my A5v5 does not record a whole lot. If I run scripts, nothing. Run operations, nothing. How is the script recorder designed to work and what are the advantages of using it? Perhaps I am not using it properly?
MM

Raymond Lyons
03-01-2005, 08:17 AM
Since no one else seems to want to say anything, I'll at least point out that for operations you can see and copy the Xbasic an operation generates by clicking on the XB on the toolbar in design mode. And of course for action script buttons you can convert them to Xbasic and not save that if you just want to see Xbasic behind the action script.

As for the script recorder, you can capture stuff like the following, which for the most part I find pretty useless:

Form.View(Enter Form@e:\a5_v5data\timebill\billingmain.ddd)
:Enter_Form.fetch_first()
:Enter_Form.resynch()
:Enter_Form.activate()
:Script_Recorder.activate()
:Enter_Form.activate()
:Enter_Form:BEGIN.activate()
:Enter_Form:Tables:BILLINGMAIN.change_begin(HONOR_FIELD_RULES)
:enter_form:tables:billingmain.begin = "dfddd"
:Enter_Form:BUTTON2.activate()
:Enter_Form:Tables:BILLINGMAIN.change_end(.f.)
:Enter_Form:BUTTON7.activate()
:Enter_Form.close()
:Script_Recorder.activate()

M_Mowat
03-01-2005, 02:44 PM
Thank you for your reply. I thought the script recorder window was supposed to do more than that and you're right, it is pretty useless. I guess I thought it might be similar to the "macro recorder" function that the old Alpha 4 had. I used that a lot before Alpha for windows.

MM

Tom Cone Jr
03-01-2005, 05:10 PM
Michael,

I wouldn't describe it as pretty useless, but its importance has diminshed substantially since A5V4. The ability to see the exact xbasic code which any saved operation or query uses is much more useful. One can now easily copy, paste, and then edit the scripts to achieve hand crafted results.

The trace window can also be used to display the sequence in which events occur as you drive the GUI.

-- tom