PDA

View Full Version : Application Path Limitations??

ABC123

Scott Emerick
02-24-2005, 09:15 AM
Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone knows of any limitations as far as the path of where a application resides.

I have a large application that will not load if the path is over 60(or so) characters long. But if I move the folder up one directory, lowering the path to under 60 characters, it loads fine.

This is causing me BIG problems. Hope there is a better answer then to keep the path under 60 characters.

Thanks,

Scott

JerryBrightbill
02-24-2005, 01:10 PM
Scott

I just tested one database that is nested down a number of levels. Its path is 78 characters and it opens and runs fine. Just for fun, I nested it much deeper until the path was almost 130 characters, and it still opens fine. I would suspect there is some other reason for the problem, such as a hard coded path somewhere.

Try creating a new database in the same folder and see if that opens. If it does, start adding table from the origianl database to the new one and see if a problem develops. That should be a good way to isolate any problems.

Jerry

davej
02-25-2005, 07:41 AM
Jerry/Scott,

Could be an OS issue.

Dave

JerryBrightbill
02-25-2005, 08:39 AM
I didn't consider that. I tested in both Win2000 and WinXP, but not Win98. However, according to all the data I can find, Win 98 allows a path of 260 characters and a file name of 255. NTFS allows a path of 32767 characters.

Jerry

Scott Emerick
02-26-2005, 08:55 AM
Hey All,

Just thought I would update you all since you have shown some interest in this post.

There seems to be some sort of connection between the lenght of the path vs. my application size.

My application has over 177 tables and 67 sets ...

During testing suggested by Jerry, I have found that if I drop a number of tables from my app all is well.

I have set Selwyn a email, but he is out until next week, so I will wait.

Just thought I would let you all know, just incase any of you have an application of this size and have no problems ...

Scott

JerryBrightbill
02-26-2005, 06:59 PM
Scott

Just as a point of interest, what operating system are you using? I currently have a computer running WinXP SP2 that crashes Windows Explorer and My computer if the folder path is too long (about 80 characters or so).

Jerry

Scott Emerick
02-28-2005, 01:51 PM
Jerry,

Also WinXP SP2 here. Another machine using Win2000 also displays the same issues.

Scott