PDA

View Full Version : Create NDX indexes in Alpha Five?

ABC123

brett s
02-20-2005, 06:55 PM
Is there any way to create indexes in the old dbase NDX format using Alpha Five? I want to be able to do this so that my A5 data can be read by an external application. It can read A5's DBF files but not A5's indexes.

Raymond Lyons
02-21-2005, 10:09 PM
If you have a5v1 I believe it used that type of index.

If there is another more accessible way, I'd like to know it.

Ray

Tom Cone Jr
02-22-2005, 02:51 AM
Alpha Four uses these index files, too, I believe.

-- tom

CALocklin
02-22-2005, 07:19 AM
Brett,

I don't believe there is any way to create .NDX files with A5.

A5v1 used .MDX files and by A5v4 (maybe v2) they switched to .CDX files.

Cal Locklin
www.aimsdc.net

brett s
02-22-2005, 07:34 PM
Thanks for all those who offered suggestions. What I am using as a work-around is a copy of Alpha Four that I am still running on an old PC with Windows 98. A4 does indeed use NDX files (thanks, Tom). Fortunately the table I want to create an NDX index on is a static lookup table so I was able to copy the table to A4, create the NDX index and then copy the NDX file back to my A5 application. This option would not have worked for me if the table was being continually updated because I would have to re-create the NDX file every time it changes.
It would be really good if I could create NDX files in A5 itself though.

Tom Cone Jr
02-23-2005, 02:28 AM
Brett,

Depending upon your personal pain level, and the importance of real time updates to the NDX files, I think you could hand craft a custom solution using third party tools and compilers, since I believe the format (structure) of the NDX file is well understood. However, this would not be a non-trivial task.

Once the new dll or exe was prepared you could call it each time Alpha Five saves a record.

-- tom