PDA

View Full Version : Duplicate Details in Reports

ABC123

Raheel Ahmed
02-20-2005, 02:02 PM
Hello, I am quite frustrated at my task in hand and am very stressed out for not achieving what is so simply and gracefully done in Excel.

I have a database, which mimics the functions of an excel spreadsheet. Yes, it has forms to allow users to enter numbers for the quantities of each field item (just as a spreadsheet would normally do). However the main point to remember is that every day has a different value for the field items.

I have a report which asks the user for a range of dates (starting and ending), I pass these dates to the report which then uses them to filter on the table to provide report which is a sum or total of the field for those dates.

For example:

Record_ID: 1
Date: 2/20/2005
Units_Installed : 10

Record_ID: 2
Date: 2/21/2005
Units_Installed : 5

Record_ID: 3
Date: 2/22/2005
Units_Installed : 5

Above are three records with three different values for "Units_Installed". All, I am trying to do is make a report that will take the value of the "units_installed" for the specified period and give the appropriate total in the report.

For example:

User enters the following criteria for the report:
Starting Date: 2/20/2005
Ending Date: 2/21/2005

The report for this will show:

Total Units Installed from 2/20/2005 until 2/21/2005: 15

This is so simple yet no matter what I do, I get a report which keeps producing a repeating detail...

I am also attaching my db, please use the user name "manager1" and pass "1" to access the db and you will see what I am talking about...

Tom Cone Jr
02-20-2005, 03:16 PM
Raheel,

The field objects you drop in the details band of the report get processed and printed each time the report engine fetches another record. There are 3 records in your Gardening table. So your summary / total fields get displayed 3 times. choose a different date range and you'll see the number of apparent repetitions change to match.

If, as I think, your report is designed to only show summary totals pulled from the records in your date range, you need to move the field objects out of the details band.

One approach I used here was to move the field objects to the page footer band.

I also created an artificial group break (based on the expression left(gardening_id,1), since that returned the same value each time), and then moved the field objects inito the group footer.

there may be a simpler solution. The key is remembering that the objects in the details band (region) of your report layout get processed and printed / previewed each time the report engine fetches another record.

If you haven't reviewed the Reports chapter in the user's guide I recommend it to you.

-- tom cone