PDA

View Full Version : Automate emailing a record

ABC123

B Mac
02-16-2005, 06:20 AM
I have a relatively large table that I want to have kept synchronized with an offsite copy of an application. Is there a way of duplicating a record without having to export it and email it automatically to the remote machine and set up a script on the other end to easily receive it. The export function seems too cumbersome on both ends and for some reason prone to errors.

Bill Warner
02-16-2005, 03:12 PM
To answer your specific question, you could probably design a routine to copy just one record to a temp table, and then send it as an attachment to the other site, where they could append it to their table.

However, I think you're asking for trouble. Syncing two table is far from a trivial task. You have to make sure the other user hasn't changed any records (if he has, he should send those changes to you, and hope you haven't made any changes in the meantime). You need a way to make sure that each app gets the correct records, and hasn't duplicated or omitted some. It is not a fun task.

You should look into remote access; check out PC Anywhere or GoToMyPC.com. Or, consider designating one machine as the "master" (the only one where additions or changes are made) and the other as a mirror where no changes or additions are permitted.