PDA

View Full Version : Indexing problems?

ABC123

Fred Klein
02-16-2005, 06:13 AM
Hi, I am running A-5 ver 3 for about 8 years with no problems. We have a repair take in system and assign
a record to each job we process. Approx 6,500 records
in the system as of today. The computer assigns a sequential number to each record or repair order. Heres the problem. When I use control F, I can not pull up that particular number. Sometimes it works fine. Most times Ill either get the last record entered, or the first one in the database. I've run database compact, doesnt help.
I made the primary index to the seqential # field.
That works fine as long as I dont try and order the records
in the "property" menu in the form view. When I do that
the trouble begins again. Is there a conflict between the two, or is my index corrupted or do I have too many records. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks, Fred

Tom Cone Jr
02-18-2005, 03:05 AM
Fred, I'd like to help, but don't have any experience with Version 3 of Alpha Five. -- tom

Jim Chapman
02-18-2005, 05:13 PM
Hello Fred,

It's been a long time since I used v3, but 6500 records is really quite small. I don't think the number of records is the problem. The Find command is probably coming up based on the current order in the table. This should always have been the case. Highlight a field, press the A-Z 'lightning bolt icon, now do a Find command and the Find command should be based on the field that you highlighted. Do you have the Pro version of A5v3? Seems like there was a home version without xbasic, but you should easily be able to set the sort order to your sequenced field before you do a find. Newer versions of Alpha allow you to select the sort order in the Find dialog. Don't remember if that was in v3 or not.

Compacting the database should have fixed any index problem if there was one. Doing a pack on the specific table or updating the indexes will also rebuild the indexes.

There have been vast improvements in A5 since v3. Take a look at upgrading. I think you will find the interface to be very similar to v3.

Good luck,
Jim