PDA

View Full Version : What is Home good for?

ABC123

Sandy Garrett
02-12-2005, 12:13 PM
I have an application that runs nicely under A5V4.03 now. It's also happy under A5V5. Some friends want to try it, but V4 is long gone and V5 isn't around anymore either.

Should it run under the Home edition? Can we edit the scripts and such under Home?

I found a lot of answers by searching the forums, but I couldn't tell if it would be possible to edit a V4.03 application in the current version and then edit/use it again in V4.03 provided the edit is dirt simple like changing the spelling of a word on a form.

davej
02-12-2005, 02:05 PM
Sandy,

Click on this link "http://www.alphasoftware.com/products/alphafive/homeedition.asp" and you can see all the Home Edition features.

Dave

Sandy Garrett
02-12-2005, 03:24 PM
I looked at each link, although I didn't read each linked-to page, and saw no mention of other versions of Alpha Five. Could you be more specific about where to look?

Thanks

davej
02-12-2005, 05:25 PM
Sandy,

I don't think there is a specific enumerated list of what will and what won't translate from one version to another, but I would think that the greater the spread between the two versions, the more problematic the conversion/upgrade becomes. As a general rule of thumb, if you take an application created in (let's say) A5V4 and edit it in A5V6, there is a possibility that you will run into problems if you then try editing/running it in the older version. Upward compatibility is safer than backward compatibility.

The safest thing I can suggest is to COPY the folder containing the V4 application into an equivalent folder in V6. Play with the V6 copy and test drive it as long and hard as you feel is appropriate. There have been very subtle differences mentioned in the various messageboards wherein an older version might have used a '(', '{' or '[' and the newer version used one of the other characters.

Thoroughly test your work as you go and be careful.

Dave

Tom Cone Jr
02-12-2005, 06:00 PM
Sandy,

I do not think you can make any edits with V5 and then hope to continue to make edits to the same app with V4. Even if the app was originally created in V4. -- tom