PDA

View Full Version : Form Name Incorrect


ABC123

wmock
02-10-2005, 01:58 PM
I have a problem with a "phantom" form name assigned to a form in a database. Each quarter I create a new form that is exactly like the previous form, other than the dates for the quarter. For some reason the one I have created to use with the first quarter of 2005 shows the name of the form I used for the third quarter of 2004 . . . even though it shows the correct dates for the first quarter of 2005. I have checked to make sure the 3rd quarter form does not actually contain the information for the 1st quarter. I have edited the form and resaved it. I have edited the form and saved it to a new name and deleted the old form. I have also done that for the previous forms in 2004. In fact the form that shows on the top bar of the form for the first quarter of 2005 reads Attn04_3 and that form NO LONGER exists in my database. I have the form for the first quarter checked to load when I open the database. The Attn04_3 name appears on the top bar of the form, with the correct form showing with the correct dates, etc. If I click on FORMS and then click on the form named for the first quarter 2005 (1stQtAtn05), the name does change on the top bar. However when I close the program, and reopen it, the incorrect (and deleted) form name appears. I have done several "Packs" of the database, no help. I don't know where else to look to fix this annoying, but not monumental problem. Any help?

Willard
02-10-2005, 05:21 PM
Wayne,
Try the Compact (I guess you did this already) sounds like a mixup in the saving took place...

Did you know that you could create one form and use a global variable to filter the data according to the quarter you wish to view. Could be a ui_get_date() message box or an automatic value based on the current quarter. You could even use a radio button to select which data appears. The Radio button can be dynamically filled depending on the year and month. I think this would be less confusing, what do you think?

wmock
02-10-2005, 05:37 PM
Jack,

That sounds like something for me to try. I am not real proficient with all the attributes of the program. I have created several databases that do what I need, but they could be further enhanced, I'm sure. Thanks for your suggestions.

Yes, I did compact the database. Did not help. I believe you are correct, somehow the old form name is attached to the new file. I thought renaming the forms would fix the problem. It might be that I will have to build a new form from scratch in order to fix the problem. I don't know where those names are stored in Alpha Five.

Stan Mathews
02-11-2005, 04:33 AM
You may be running into a variation of the trouble caused by naming a field or table with a leading digit. The documentation says

Alpha Five recommends that table and field names start with a letter (A-Z or a-z) and be composed of letters, numbers (0-9), and underscore (_) characters.

It may be that this applies to form, browse, letter, etc layouts as well.

wmock
02-21-2005, 09:42 AM
Stan,

The Form name begins with with a "1" I have tried different names, it does not matter, it shows the old form name "Attnd04_03" That form does not exist, but the name still appears on the title bar for the form. I don't have a clue as to how to correct the problem other than perhaps deleting all the forms and rebuilding them again. Although, I don't know if that would solve the problem since I have already deleted the form with the name that continues to appear.

Wayne