PDA

View Full Version : New Table and Calendar Addin problem

ABC123

Glen Payton
02-07-2005, 10:12 AM
I just downloaded the Calander addin for use on network. It's build 2.17.

I added a new table just two field, date and entry A5V5 build 1506.1508

Placed Calander button on Main menu to open calander off table. Created a form that only works on development machine otherwise when enering new calendar info all I see is default form on networked pcs.

When I dropped the new table in network folder (dbf, ddd, ddm and ddx) and changes to main menu. Only the main menu changes reflected when pcs refreshed their shadow. The table did nothing. I dropped the table into shadow and now when entering info into calendar these are seen only on the computer they were made on. No other networked pc can see the new entries.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the calendar addin in the individual runtime folders on networked pcs.

Is there something else I should be doing? I searched and have not found a similar instance.

Thanks,

Glen

Tom Cone Jr
02-07-2005, 12:06 PM
"" I dropped the table into shadow and now when entering info into calendar these are seen only on the computer they were made on. No other networked pc can see the new entries. ""

This makes sense. The local workstation is working with the local table, which you just dropped into its folder. Dropping copies of the table and its dictionaries into the shadow folder does not tell Alpha Five to use the shared table (of same name) on the server.

On the server side did you "Add" the new table to the database or simply drop it into the database folder and use scripts that are hard coded to its path? I don't think the shadow refresh routines will catch new tables unless they've been "added" to the database through the Control Panel, using the table and sets tab of the CP.

-- tom

Glen Payton
02-07-2005, 01:05 PM
Tom,

Yes I added the new tables via the cp on the development copy of the db. It works fine there. I then dropped them into the folder on the server . The refresh did not recognize the new table yet it recognized the other changes made. This is why I dropped the table into the shadow. I don't know why the shadow did not recognize the table since it was created in the orignal development db.

Glen

Tom Cone Jr
02-08-2005, 02:15 AM
Sorry,

Your description omits too many details on each step you took for me to offer any other ideas. It still sounds to me as though you are thinking that copying the table and its dictionaries into the database folder on the server is all that's required to incorporate the table into the "database". If so, this is wrong. The "database" doesn't keep a list of all the tables in the folder. It only knows about tables that were created or "added" to the database through the Control Panel on the server machine. This list is maintained in the dictionaries of the database, not the dictionaries of the table. Until the database dictionaries on the server are updated the "database" will be unaware that you've copied a new table into the folder.

If you don't want to use the CP on the server to "add" the new table, then you'll have to copy the development machine's "database" dictionaries to the server when you copy the new table there. While I realize that I'm repeating myself, I hope this helps to clarify.

-- tom

JerryBrightbill
02-08-2005, 02:36 AM
Glen

To add to Tom's explanation, a calendar design for a table or set is saved in the data dictionary for the table or set. During a refresh, they should be copied to a local shadowed computer. From the explanation, it sounds like you have the calendar configured to open a specific form, and the shadow can not find that form. That tells me that the refresh is not copying the table data dictionaries and not creating the shadow table correctly. There are only a few possibilities.

As Tom points out, first check that the table with the calendar is listed in the table/set list for the database on the server. If it isn't listed, it won't be created correctly on the shadow. Second, be sure the server database is working correctly, since this is the "master". Then refresh each shadow. That should be all that is needed.

If that doesn't work, then the shadow is not actually refreshing. In that case, recreate the shadow using the network optimize option on the terminal. This should not occur in V6, since the refresh essentially is the same process as the intial optimize. DO NOT directly copy the table and files to the terminal. This will result in the local copy being unique to the local computer with no connection to the server. You CAN copy JUST the data dictionary files from working server to a shadow (ddd, ddm, ddx for a table, or set, sem, sex for a set). However, even in this instance, if the table is not listed in the database table /set listing, then the shadow will not find the table or set.

Jerry

Glen Payton
02-08-2005, 05:55 AM
Many Thanks Tom and Jerry,

I finally got it!!!

Sometime my brain just gets in the way and I can't see....

Added the table via the server cp and all is well...

Everyone on this board is great!!!

Glen