PDA

View Full Version : Record Navigation

ABC123

Terry Allen
02-07-2005, 01:56 AM
I have a designed a Project Funding Monitoring application and when I navigate through records (next / previous) it goes directly to the first or last record instead.
All child databases are linked to the parent database by a unique record reference number generated automatically on entering a new record.
Assistance or advice would be appreciated

Bill Warner
02-07-2005, 05:29 AM
Try packing the tables in the set. this will often straighten out problems like that.

Also, after doing a lot of editing, it's a good idea to compact the database.

Terry Allen
02-07-2005, 05:34 AM
Thanks for your comments.
I am relative novice to A5 and don't understand "packing the set" or "compacting the database"?
Comments would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Terry

davej
02-07-2005, 07:34 AM
Terry,

As you work with data (the form is really a single record view of the table) changes are made, records are marked to be deleted, etc. When you pack the table (or set), records marked to be deleted are actually removed and the space they occupied is recovered. You can test this by creating a dummy table with data and you will see that the table (.dbf file) size is the same before records are deleted as it is after the records are deleted. Packing recovers the space.

As you continually work designing tables, forms, reports, indexes, etc., unneeded bits and pieces are created and discarded. Compacting the database cleans out all the unnecessary leftovers and leaves a smaller, cleaner (read efficient) database.

It is a good idea to set up some utility routines that you can run every once-in-a-while to pack all tables and sets and also compact the database.

Dave

Terry Allen
02-07-2005, 08:05 AM
Dave
Thanks for this I will have a go and hopefully overcome the problem
Regards
Terry