PDA

View Full Version : Using the OLE Object

ABC123

WesOlfert
02-04-2005, 08:18 PM
I tried using the OLE Object to bring the content of an external Word Document into a report, but it seems only to take you to a new Word Doc rather than give you the option to choose an already existing one. Is there a way to fring in an existing doc?

Also, when I put text into the New Word doc that opens up the text goes into my report, but its like an image instead of a document -- the text changes size as you change the size of the box. Is there anyway to lock in the size to that of the original document so it always looks the same?

I've searched the forum and the Articles Archive as well as the Users Guide and don't find much on using OLE. Can anyone tell me where to look for good info on this topic?

Stan Mathews
02-05-2005, 06:17 AM
Take a look in the code archive. I posted something like what you need. Extension of OLE Automation Samples

WesOlfert
02-05-2005, 08:14 AM
Thanks. I'll keep that code sample in my "Technical" archive.

Just from a quick look and trying to understand what you posted, it seems to me that the purpose of your code example is to SEND or EXPORT content from Aplpha 5 into a Word Doc. Am I understanding correctly?

What I am trying to do is to IMPORT the content of a Word DOc into An OLE Object in a form in A5.

Stan Mathews
02-05-2005, 10:46 AM
The portion

wordApp.Documents.Open(docname)

opens a named document. I think that was the first question you had.

I don't have my references this weekend but I'll take a look Monday.

Stan Mathews
02-07-2005, 09:04 AM
I now understand what you meant/wanted, sorry for my confusion.

I believe you have found that you can open another file of the type as the ole document and paste into the one Alpha creates. I do not see any way to lock the relative font size and position. That might be contrary to the purpose of having an ole object.

Maybe someone else will weigh in with a better idea.