PDA

View Full Version : pdf Report Issue

ABC123

Walter
02-01-2005, 01:02 AM
Hello all,

I see this is an OLD topic on the board...

However, I cannot find a solution for my problem, although follwoing several treads regarding this.

On my laptop I can save and send email reports in pdf format, but on the receipient pc it says the file is damaged, and cannot be repaired.

If I send it from my laptop to my desktop via email, it opens OK.

On my desktop, I cannot save in pdf format but can send a report pdf via email. The same message appear on the receipient pc.

I have downloaded Acrobat v7 hoping to solve the problem, no luck, same error messages from receipient.

Any ideas please?!!

Walter

Cheryl Lemire
02-01-2005, 01:10 AM
Walter,

How are you trying to save the report in the pdf format? What steps are you taking? There are different ways to do this so finding out which steps you are taking will help us to minimize where the issue may be.

When are you getting the error? When you try to save the file or after you successfully email the attached pdf and try to open it? More information will help us to help you better :)

Thanks
Cheryl

Walter
02-01-2005, 01:29 AM
Hello Cheryl,

Take alphasports for example,
If you open the Invoice report, on the menu is the save in Acrobat .pdf format. If I click on that icon, all I get is a screen flash and nothing else.

In the meantime, I sent a pdf report created in v5 and in v6 to one of my clients.
The report in v5, he cannot open the pdf attachment, it says error, file damaged.
The rpt in v6 opens OK!

All this is before any attacments is saved.
Walter

Cheryl Lemire
02-01-2005, 01:54 AM
Walter,

You lost me with: All this is before any attacments is saved.

Can you send me the attachments in email so I can see if I am able to open the pdf files? cherylalpha@yahoo.com

If you are not able to save the report as pdf in v5, where are you getting the pdf file to email to the other person from?

Sorry but this is awfully confusing to me, maybe I just need more coffee :)

Cheryl

Walter
02-01-2005, 02:11 AM
Hello Cheryl,

I did send you an email with the pdf attachment.This one was created in v5. This is the one my clients cannot open.

If I create a report in v6, and email that pdf attachment then it opens on the client pc.

Walter

Cheryl Lemire
02-01-2005, 02:12 AM
Walter,

I received your attachment and have duplicated the problem reported by your clients. I have attached a screen shot of the error.

Now we need to step through exactly how you are creating this pdf file in the first place. I know this may sound 'anal' but I really need to know every little step you are taking to create this pdf attachment.

Cheryl

Cheryl Lemire
02-01-2005, 02:13 AM
Walter,

One of your earlier posts said that you were 'unable' to save your report as pdf in v5?

Cheryl

Walter
02-01-2005, 02:33 AM
Hello Cheryl,

OK, I will dot down the steps.
I am using Alphasport database as example.

1. Once the report is open showing the selected invoice, I click on the button on the toolbar saying " Send report via email as an Acrobat .pdf attachment"
2. Then I send the email.

This is the step I am taking to create the email attachment.

If I click on the button next to the above mentioned one saying "Save in Acrobat .pdf format" , nothing happens. Usually this will open the report in Acrobat reader.

Everything was working fine, until a few days ago. Did not change or install or remove any other programs on my desktop to may have caused this to happen.
Also using Win XP pro.

Hope this help.
Walter

Cheryl Lemire
02-01-2005, 02:45 AM
Walter,

I followed your steps and unfortunately was unable to duplicate your problems. In v5 I was successfully able to save the report as pdf, and email it to myself without getting any errors.

This leads me to one of two things, that I can think of ... both are specific to your pc.

1) Did you install any recent patches for win xp?
2) What build are you using for v5? I am using 1506_1058.

If you did not do 1) above in the past week or so, then I would suggest a re-install of A5V5 to see if that resolves your issue.

If you did do 1) above I would suggest you uninstall whatever updates you installed to see if that resolves your issue.

Good luck
Cheryl

Steve Workings
02-01-2005, 02:50 AM
In version 5, you would get the results you present if the report doesn't have any records.

- Steve

Walter
02-01-2005, 02:57 AM
Cheryl,

If I email it to myself, it opens OK as well. It is just when I send it to someone else, that I get the problem.

No recent win xp updates installed, do have the most recent build of a5v5, and re installed v5, but no luck.
Did install Acrobat v7 as well, but also no luck.
I am also out of ideas now..

Thanks for the help in any case.
Have a nice day
Walter

Cheryl Lemire
02-01-2005, 03:00 AM
Walter,

If you can email it to yourself without error, maybe it is your email client? Grasping at straws now.

I will send you an email from v5 and see if it opens for you.

Cheryl

Walter
02-01-2005, 03:00 AM
Hello Steve,

Did make sure there are records to view.

ANY other ideas ?

Walter

Cheryl Lemire
02-01-2005, 03:04 AM
Walter,

Maybe it is the invoice itself that you are trying to send? Your attachment shows invoice 52 and I do not have that invoice in my Alphasports.

Cheryl

Walter
02-01-2005, 03:06 AM
Cheryl,
I opened your invoice, no problems.

Will it make any difference if I send the email using a5 build in email, in stead of outlook express?

Walter

Cheryl Lemire
02-01-2005, 03:10 AM
Walter,

I do not know, but it is worth a shot. Try that and send to me again at cherylalpha@yahoo.com

Cheryl

Cheryl Lemire
02-01-2005, 03:18 AM
Walter,

That email worked fine. That leads me to the conclusion that the problem is with Outlook.

I can't tell you why or how to fix it, so hopefully using the Alpha built in email is not a problem for you.

Good luck
Cheryl

Walter
02-01-2005, 03:20 AM
Cheryl,

Did send another one with the build in email.

You mentioned you do not have a invoice 55 or something.
This is the .pdf rpt saved in my ..\temp directory.
It does not reflect the true invoice number.

Walter

Walter
02-01-2005, 03:24 AM
What ?
Are you serious?
)(*&*(&*^(*&^)*()(* Thanks !!!!!!!

I am spending the past 2 days working through all the prev treads and stuff, been very frustrated with this one!

Thanks for the help in any case!!!

Walter

Cheryl Lemire
02-01-2005, 03:26 AM
Don't you just love Bill Gates hehehe