PDA

View Full Version : Unwanted Icon on Custom Menu

ABC123

dalekent
01-31-2005, 07:10 AM
The attachment to this message shows a (partially completed)
custom menu on a form. There is an icon immediately to the
left of the "Add Record" button. I did not put that icon
there. It appeared automatically. (The "Has Bitmap?" box in
Menu Maker for the "Add Record" button is NOT checked.)
How can I get rid of this icon? I don't want my user to have
access to it.

Romy Huang
01-31-2005, 10:39 AM
open design mode of toolbar. click add_record, on the right side, there is "style"(text, bitmap_text, ect.) You can select text.

Romy Huang
01-31-2005, 10:52 AM
uncheck "bitmap has". It should work.

Cheryl Lemire
01-31-2005, 03:16 PM
Dale,

When you look at your toolbar in design mode, does that icon show in the list on the left side of buttons. It almost looks like by your attachment that you have two buttons, the first one being the 'view mode' icon only and the 2nd one being your created button as text.

If that is the case, simply select the first one in the list on the left and delete it.

I also noticed that you have the 'A' in Add record underlined indicating a ctrl + A key event to activate the button. I tried this in my custom toolbars using the &A and it did not work. How did you accomplish yours?

Thanks
Cheryl

dalekent
01-31-2005, 08:30 PM
Romy & Cheryl,
Thanks for your replies. However, what is shown in my
original attachment is not a custom toolbar. It is, as I
said in my original message, a custom MENU. So your comments don't apply here.
The reason I am using a menu instead of a toolbar is because
I want to have the "A" in the "Add Record" button underlined, so that this will tell the user that the hot-key for adding a record is Ctrl-A (rather than e.g. Ctrl-D (or whatever)).
After some earlier help from other members of this board,
along with weeks of trial and error, I discovered that you
can't get the "A" to be underlined if you use toolbars. You
have to use menus for this.

Cheryl,
I have attached a screenshot showing the Menu_Maker screen.
In the (greyed out) field that says "Menu Item" you will
see that it contains "&Add Record". The "&" before the "A" is what causes the "A" to be underlined when it appears on the custom menu.
Incidentally, as far as I have been able to tell, the accelerator function doesn't work correctly. That's why it
is blank in the screen shot.

One other comment here may be useful. I discovered, after
many wasted days, that when you use the code editor to
assign the hot key "Ctrl-A " to a form event, for example, it simply doesn't work if you use "Ctrl-A" in the expression box of the code editor (as the documentation says it should). This is yet another defect in the A5 program.
(You can prove that to yourself by trying it out in Alpha Sports). To be more precise, when you use the Code Editor to get the hot-key Ctrl-A to perform an action, what you have to put in the expression box is NOT
a_user.key.value= "{Ctrl-A}"
but
a_user.key.value= "{^A}"

Since I can send only one attachment per message, I will send a second message with an attachment showing the code
editor screen for the Ctrl-A on-key event.

My original problem remains.

dalekent
01-31-2005, 08:33 PM
Cheryl,
Here is the screen shot for the on-key event.

Cheryl Lemire
02-01-2005, 12:36 AM
Dale,

Sorry about the misunderstanding about toolbar vs menu. That explains the hot key :)

Unfortunately I do not have a solution for you except to suggest you try again and make a new custom menu. I created one and do NOT have the icon you show.

Attached is my add_record_menu.

Good luck
Cheryl

dalekent
02-01-2005, 03:12 PM
Cheryl,
I have a question about the custom menu shown in your
attachment. Was that screen shot taken when your form
was maximized on the screen?
The reason I ask is that I too don't have the
problematic icon show up when the form is not maximized
(i.e. when the form fills up only part of the screen:
this is the mode that it defaults to when you first start
A5 and open the form for the first time).
The problematic icon that I want to get rid of shows up
ONLY when you maximize the form that the custom menu is
attached to.

JerryBrightbill
02-01-2005, 04:26 PM
The icon you see is the system menu. I don't think you can remove it when maximized.

Jerry

trackmanpete
02-13-2006, 06:32 PM
When my form is maximized, the icon on the far left allows a user to make various selections, as shown. My problem is that when the selection is "Next" the form closes and sends the user (me) back to the control panel. Is there a way to not allow that to happen (can I control what happens within the menu of this icon)? Ideally, I would like to not have that icon on at all, but it seems that if you maximize the form, the icon is present. I was just looking at another custom database program created by Access (sorry) where that icon does not exist on the custom menu, so perhaps there is a way to not include it.

Thanks for your interest.

Pete Schuder

Tom Cone Jr
02-13-2006, 07:34 PM
If memory serves, we used to be able to maximize a form in A5v4 and NOT have this problem.

EDIT: I went back and found that this behavior is the same there, also. In my apps there I maximized the Alpha Five window, and displayed my forms at full size, but my forms are not maximized. If one sets the form size to the target display width it's hard to tell they're not maximized. I suppose this is what might be going on in Access, but this is only a guess.

-- tom

trackmanpete
02-13-2006, 07:51 PM
Tom:
I tried to do my homework and found this post in A5.v5, but I am using A5.v7.

I am enclosing the following .jpg that shows how another database I use (did not create) does not have this issue. As you can see, there is no icon on the RunLog database. The strange thing is that the Alpha Control Panel also has the same menu, but the icon looks like a card from a rolodex.

I like having the form sit right up against the menu, as this, I think is a standard Windows method, but I fear users will click on it and change things that I don't want changed.

Others have suggested that by not totally maximizing the window (having the blue bar on top - I guess) would take care of the problem, but in my case there is still the same icon in the left corner.

Could this possibly be another Wish List item?

Thanks for your response,

Pete Schuder

trackmanpete
02-14-2006, 12:48 AM
Well, it took a few hours and I overlooked it a couple of times, but I finally found the ability to hide the icon on the upper left. I went into Database properties and there is was near the bottom of the page. Now, I won't tell you how many times I have been on this page and didn't try checking the box. Hope this helps some others...

Pete Schuder