PDA

View Full Version : events...no documentation

ABC123

Paul Simison
01-26-2005, 09:21 PM
I am trying to insert a "revision number" field. This should increment each time a record is altered.

I put a calculated field in called revno, with a calculation term of revno+1. This increments with each change, so that if you alter three fields at a single session, it adds three to the revno field. I want it to add only one.

There is an "events" tab in the field rules, which is completely undocumented, and appears to do nothing. I feel that this is where I should be looking.

JerryBrightbill
01-27-2005, 03:28 AM
Paul

Go to the Alpha website learning center and either download the help file or use the online help. Both have extensive information of events in field rules. In your case, the proper field rule would probably be CanSaveRecord which fires just before the record is saved. You could put your calculation there and it only fires once when the record saves.

Jerry

Cheryl Lemire
01-27-2005, 05:27 AM
Paul,

Jerry is correct. I have a custom function that is used for autoincrementing. I use the CanSaveRecord event to call this function and it works beautifully. There is information in the online help files that can give you more details. Here is just a sample:

Creating a Field Rule Event

Please let us know how you resolve your issue so that it can help others in the future :)

Good luck
Cheryl