PDA

View Full Version : why does my A5 Home edition keep loosing indices?

ABC123

Graham Wickens
01-26-2005, 10:31 AM
Guys,

this problem is driving me nuts! After each and every update I run, I have to re-define the indices for which ever table I have been using. The only thing I can see is that the file extension .CDX is also used by Dreamweaver (also installed on my machine). Can someone please help me sort this. :(((((((((((((

I am running A5 Home, version build 1506, system addins build 1058 on a Pentium 28 running Windoze XP SP2.

JerryBrightbill
01-27-2005, 03:30 AM
Graham

There isn't quite enough information to help very much. However, you say "after every update" What are you updating and how?

Jerry

Graham Wickens
01-27-2005, 12:53 PM
Hi Jerry,

I am compiling a table of Airfields and all I am doing is either appending data, posting data or substracting tables to find the new details. I am doing nothing flash just using the standard "operations" tab.

Tom Cone Jr
01-27-2005, 02:05 PM
Some operations creata new result table. When this happens the old table and its indexes are eliminated, I do believe.

-- t

JerryBrightbill
01-27-2005, 02:22 PM
Graham

Many operations overwrite tables. If that is the case, you can usually select to not overwrite the data dictionary which may preserve the indexes. If your index names are over 10 characters, the long name is saved in the data dictionary. If the data dictionary is overwritten or the link to the actual is lost, the index is "lost". Also, take a look at the indexes themselves. An index expression that won't evaluate is dropped in any update action. If you have filters on the indexes, this can cause problems. If the tables are connected in a set, check that the set is not open during the update, especialy if referential integrity is turned on.

There have been many posts about lost indexes, but these are the most common reasons.

Jerry