PDA

View Full Version : Backup

ABC123

johnhpratt
01-24-2005, 07:19 PM
The online instruction book says to go to the AlphaMovies Control Panel to start a backup procedure, but how does one find the AlphaMovies Control Panel? I can't find any reference to it.

Cheryl Lemire
01-24-2005, 08:53 PM
John,

What is the URL where you are seeing this? This may help us assist you a little quicker.

Cheryl

johnhpratt
01-26-2005, 01:08 PM
I thought I found this in the A5V5 User Guide, but I must admit that I can't find it again. anyway what I really want to know is how to backup a database. Can you tell me how to do it?

Stan Mathews
01-26-2005, 01:26 PM
The option is under the tools menu.

Cheryl Lemire
01-27-2005, 05:19 AM
John,

Stan has given you the easiest way to backup a database. There are many different ways to do this depending on your needs. If you use the online help files, click on indes, then type backup you will get several options returned. Below are just two of them.

"a href="http://support.alphasoftware.com/alphafivehelp/User_Manual/Backup_Database.htm""Backup Database"/a"

"a href="http://support.alphasoftware.com/alphafivehelp/Functions/backup_database().htm""BACKUP_DATABASE()"/a"

Good luck
Cheryl

PS Please let us know how you resolve your issue as it may help others in the future.

johnhpratt
01-29-2005, 11:40 AM
I have used the Backup Tool to backup a couple of databases, but I am amazed at how small the resulting files are. Can these really represent backups of large databases? I have not tried to restore from them--I'm afraid to!

JerryBrightbill
01-29-2005, 12:15 PM
Database tables always have a lot of empty space allocated. This is especially true if many of the fields are only partially filled. The backup uses a zip file which may compress them significantly. For example, I zipped one table that was almost 4 mb in size. The zip file is only 365K, less than 1/10 as large.

Jerry

Cheryl Lemire
01-29-2005, 12:44 PM
I have used the restore feature many times and it works wonderfully.

johnhpratt
01-30-2005, 10:36 AM
Thanks Cheryl Lemire and Jerry Brightbill for your assurances on using Backup. I'll use it regularily know. This seems to take care of my problem. So we can quit this thead.
John