PDA

View Full Version : Getting rid of old database names

ABC123

WesOlfert
01-21-2005, 04:20 PM
I have a situation where I have manually changed the name of a database (in WIndows Explorer changed the adb file name). But now I have some files left with previous names (alb, alm, alx files) even though they are no longer needed. How can I purge these from my database?

JerryBrightbill
01-21-2005, 07:10 PM
The alb, alx, and alm files are the database data dictionary files. If you rename the adb file, you should also rename the data dictionary files. However, if you didn't, Alpha will recreate them, but you will lose any menus, toolbars, scripts etc from the original database. If there are any alb, alm, alx files no longer associated with a adb, just delete them in Explorer.

Jerry

WesOlfert
01-23-2005, 04:24 PM
I have done it the way you suggested -- that is, deleted the old files in Explorer, but whenever I exit and then reopen the database those remnants from the old database name(s) are recreated. I have tried every which way to get rid of them but to no avail so far. The original mistake I made was that I renamed only the adb file but did not rename the associated files. From now on I'll know better!

JerryBrightbill
01-23-2005, 05:13 PM
Wes

I have seen this before. Open the new database and check the database properties. Open the libraries tab and you will probably find that the old database is attached as a library. Delete the listing and compact the database. Now try deleing the old files. They should stay deleted.

Jerry

WesOlfert
01-23-2005, 11:41 PM
Thank you so much. That did it.