PDA

View Full Version : variable type mismatch

ABC123

Ruth Asfaw
01-20-2005, 06:32 AM
When I try open Alpha 5 V5, I get the following error, and it freezes the program. Any idea how to debug this? If so, how can I correct it if I can't open the program?

Script:OnInit line:32
tbl = table.open(table_i)
variable type mismatch

Thanks,
Ruth Asfaw
R. James Properties, Inc
ruth@rjamesproperties.com

davej
01-20-2005, 06:36 AM
Ruth,

It sounds like you had a problem with the installation. I would suggest that you reinstall the program. Possibly, you might have to re-download from Alpha.

Dave

Ruth Asfaw
01-20-2005, 06:44 AM
Dave,

Thanks, I will try that.

Steve Andrews
01-20-2005, 07:07 AM
Ruth,

Also, is 'table_i' the name of a table or a character variable for which a table name has been assigned? If the former, you will need to enclose it in quotes:

tbl=table.open("table_i")

Steve

Stan Mathews
01-20-2005, 08:21 AM
Also, if Steve's excellent thought is correct, you probably have an autoexec script or startup form oninit event script causing the problem or even code firing, after the autoexec if there is one, if there was code specified when creating a shortcut to the database.

There are ways to bypass the problem no matter which way it is occurring. Just let us know more details about your application. Did you create it or did someone else? Do you have the developer version of Alpha or are you using the runtime?

Ruth Asfaw
01-20-2005, 08:43 AM
Steve, Stan,

The program is created by someone else. And it is my understanding that "table_i" is a table name not a variable. Although I have both the runtime and developer version on my system, I was using the developer version so that I can have the capabilities of making changes.

Thanks,
Ruth

Stan Mathews
01-20-2005, 08:49 AM
The following is from the documentation to allow you to get past the startup form and/or the autoexec script. If this gets you into the database, you can check the code and correct the line as Steve indicated.

Displaying a Hidden Control Panel

When you open the database hold down the Control and Shift keys and tell Alpha Five not to open the startup form.

Another method is to open another database. Click View " Settings. In the Preferences section tell Alpha Five not to open the startup form or run your autoexec script.