PDA

View Full Version : Shadow DB and MUF file.

ABC123

Robert Picard
01-19-2005, 05:34 AM
Hi

I am having a problem with a setup that WAS working okay until recently.

All PC's running Windows XP Small Office

Dedicated server..
Has A5V5 full version with latest patch.
Database is on Server Drive H:\Syllabus
Drive H:\Syllabus shared on the network as drive E:\Syllabus

3 work stations.
Have A5V5 full version with latest patch.

Now My problem. Suddenly...

- One Station won't open the shadow DB
- Second station shadow is pointing to another directory on drive E:\ where a backup copy resides.
- 3rd station shadow points to correct directory.
- Working on the server I cound not open the DB in H:\Syllabus (Muf error).

When this occured I deleted the shadows from all the stations.

I had to recreate the ADB file to open the DB on the server (NO MUF error).

I then rebuilt the shadows on one station.

BUT...Now when I go to the server to work on the DB in Drive H:\Syllabus A5 gives the error message...

cannot open or create Muf file on H:\Syllabus

A5 is not open on any stations.

Thing is if I open the DB on each station directly from the H:\ drive (by passing the shadows) I can open the DB from the serve no problem (NO MUF error).

I did some research on the site but there isn't anything on point.

Very frustrating. Setting up shadows are supposed to be NO Brainers.

Robert

CALocklin
01-19-2005, 11:09 AM
Since you can open the server (main) files directly, why not just delete the shadow files and re-run the Create Shadow routine?

It actually shouldn't be necessary to delete any files but it might be safer in your situation.

Robert Picard
01-19-2005, 11:18 AM
HI Cal

Thats what I did. But as soon as I rebuild the shadow I get the MUF error when trying to Open the The DB from the server.

Also I have to Redo my ADB file. Just deleting the Shadows from the stations and making sure A5 is not running anywhere else still gives my the MUF error on the server.

Robert

Larry Ternowski
01-22-2005, 06:51 AM
Have you tried deleting the MUF file. I believe that A5 will rebuild the MUF file.

Larry

Robert Picard
01-22-2005, 07:50 AM
Hi Larry

Thanks for the suggestion but I have tried that too.

I am not getting much response to this quesion. But it affects my client big time having to Access the DB directly from the Server.

Robert

Robert Mann
01-22-2005, 07:58 AM
checked to see the permissions on the muf file. Maby it's set to read only.

CALocklin
01-22-2005, 11:05 AM
"I tried that too."

What was the result? Were you able to delete the file but it came back with the same problem or were you not able to delete the file?

- Can you delete the whole shadow folder?
- Can you delete the MUF file on the server?
- When you open the files on the server and go to the Code tab, do the table icons look 'correct' or are they grayed out like shadowed tables?

Robert Picard
01-23-2005, 03:30 AM
Hi Cal
"Were you able to delete the file but it came back with the same problem or were you not able to delete the file?"

I can delete the file but it came back with the same problem.

"Can you delete the whole shadow folder?"

Yes I can.

"Can you delete the MUF file on the server"

Yes. Have not looked a deleteing the MUF on the stations.

"When you open the files on the server and go to the Code tab, do the table icons look 'correct' or are they grayed out like shadowed tables? "

This has happened on the server. Unfortunately I was tying so many things I cannot remember the sequence event that created this situation.

The only way I can open the ADB file working on the server is to either copy over an ADB from a back up or Delete the ADB file in the DATABASE and Recreate the ADB file and add the tables/sets.

What baffles me is why the MUF problem does NOT occur when the stations are accessing the ADB file directly from the Server bypassing the Shadow on each station.

Create a shadow and bang A5 running on the server gets the MUF error.

Robert

Robert Picard
01-23-2005, 03:32 AM
Hi Robert

Haven't looked at that. Will check it out.

Won't be seeing my Client till Tuesday.

My hope is I will have some possible solutions to try by then.

Robert

CALocklin
01-23-2005, 05:47 AM
I know this shouldn't happen but I've seen it more than once. It sounds like your optimize or refresh optimize is not running to completion then somehow leaves the shadow .adb on the server. (Unfortunately, I don't know how to repeat it in a simple app.)

You don't give details about how you actually run the original Network Optimize but if you are trying to run it from a button on a form, I recommend you try closing all forms and running it from the A5 control panel for testing purposes at least. Do the same with your Refresh Optimize.

The other thing I found when I ran into this was that it only happened with apps that had complex Autoexec and/or OnInit/OnActivate scripts in the run-on-load form. You might check those out and simplify them if you can. (Or, remove them for testing purposes.)

I hope this helps you track it down. And, if you find a specific issue, please let us know what it was.

Cal Locklin
www.aimsdc.net

CALocklin
01-23-2005, 05:50 AM
I'd also recommend after checking the above:
(a) make sure the 'real' .adb file is on the server then,
(b) remove the .muf file from the server and,
(c) remove the complete shadow folder.

Then restart A5 from the workstation, navigate to the server, and run a full Network Optimize from the A5 Control Panel.

Robert Picard
01-23-2005, 08:19 AM
Hi Cal

Thanks for the info.

I have been running it from the control panel under tools on each station.

Mentioning the question about autoexec reminds me that I did get an errro message. After running Network Optimize from the control panel on one work station I experieced the following.

Forms and DBs were greyed out and I got An error message for Autoexec script saying path could not be found.

I don't remember doing anything to Autoexec but will check out my Main menu form which is loaded by Autoexec and the code in autoexec itself, guided by your suggestions.

Robert

Robert Picard
01-26-2005, 03:56 AM
Hi Cal

Thanks for the help. Problem solved. Once you know where to look progress can be made. I would never have thought to look in forms or autoexec file.

I started thinking about when the problem started and what changes/additions were made.

Nothing was done to my MainMenu form but I had done something which involved my autoexec file.

It wasn't code in the autoexec file but a table that is processed by Autoexec.

I have an Initialization table that contains Global variables which are loaded into memory at start up.

I had added just 1 new variable "desdoc".

As soon as I changed the variable name to "des_doc" my problem went away.

For the life of me I don't know why this variable would cause a problem, unless by some fluke it also was the name of some internal A5 variable or function.

Anyways problem solved. And again because of ALL the members of this board who take the time help each other.

Robert

CALocklin
01-26-2005, 09:35 AM
Glad you got it resolved and thanks for letting us know what the solution was.

By the way, it isn't necessary to click the "If someone posts a reply..." each time. Once per thread is enough. Of course, it doesn't hurt anything - I just thought I'd let you know that you don't need to worry about it.

MoGrace2U
06-20-2005, 02:00 PM
I thought I would add my 2 cents to Cal's helpful advice. I have had to fix my files so many times until I could learn how to prevent it. Loading my Main Menu in my Autoexec was the culprit as I had added a CanExit script to prevent closing the form without using my button. This intercepted Network Optimize trying to close the program, which copied the shadowed *.adb file back to the server. Recopying the good *.adb to the server "fixed" the files. Prevention involved adding a logon script which if left blank after 3 tries would close A5 before the Main Menu loaded. I added a button onto the Main Menu which only appears if A5.get_path() is not pointing to the shadow (ie. the server copy is loaded). The button then closes the Main Menu form and runs the optimize from the file menu. When Alpha then attempts to load the shadowed copy, the user cancels the logon script so A5 closes instead. Then the user can load the shadow copy from the shortcut like normal. There are 2 shortcuts on the desktop one for the server and one for the shadow.

Giving users access to the Control Panel is not the best choice but it does allow them to see if the file list is pointing to the correct files or not before they optimize.

I'm hoping to implement Cal's script as soon as I can understand what it is doing! - Robin

Ed
06-27-2005, 09:24 AM
I run a shadow on my notebook via a Wi-fi connection. The error you mention appears when I first startup the notebook and load A5 *before* logging into the drive the A5 database lives on. If I open the drive, log in and view the folder, then A5 logs on normally.

I am setting my notebook up as a user on the server, which is why I need to do this.