PDA

View Full Version : UK Money Symbol from US$?

ABC123

Digitaled
02-07-2007, 07:33 PM
Hi

I am working on a project and i have already had some response from people in the UK about Beta testing my product when its time.

What i did not take into thought that one person pointed out is the UK Symbol for money $ is not that same as it is in the US.

I am using Alpha V8 pre and i wanted to see if i can some how for a UK version change all the $ signs into the UK money sign and how i would do this.

Thanks

MikeC
02-07-2007, 08:26 PM
Ed,

I just did a quick search. I came up with quite a few that discusses this problem--I don't know if it has been resolved but many "work-a-rounds" are given in the few threads I viewed.

http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/alphaforum/showthread.php?t=56771&highlight=UK+money+symbol

http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/alphaforum/showthread.php?t=46958&highlight=euro+symbol

http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/alphaforum/showthread.php?t=55012&highlight=euro

OR if you use the word Euro for your search 27 threads come up.

http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/alphaforum/search.php?searchid=152457

Mike

Lance Gurd
02-10-2007, 08:01 AM
Edward,

I am in the UK, when I open Alphasports the invoices are in British £'s, I expect if you open it in the US this is not the case it is in $. If you set your fields to display in currency mode (properties, format, format style - $123,456.78) it will display in the native currency that the users system is set to.

Esio Trot
04-11-2007, 12:24 PM
Edward,

I am in the UK, when I open Alphasports the invoices are in British £'s, I expect if you open it in the US this is not the case it is in $. If you set your fields to display in currency mode (properties, format, format style - $123,456.78) it will display in the native currency that the users system is set to.

I am also in the UK, and have two identical machines machines running Windows XP Professional, plus a third used as a "server" running Windows ME.

On both machines I have installed a local copy of AlphaSports as well as there being one on the server.

When AlphaSports is open, on the other XP machine it shows the £ sign. However on mine is has the $ sign. This is still the case whether the machine is accessing the local copy or the server one.

Thus, it is obviously my machine that is the problem in not taking account of regional settings, yet I have checked the regional settings on both machines for any differences and can't find any.

I know this problem is not directly related to A5, but I would appreciate it if a member has knowledge of how I can resolve this, or some pointers on changes I can try.

I have attached screenshots of two pages on the regional settings to show that I have got the UK settings.

Jenny Earnshaw
04-19-2007, 07:41 AM
We had the same problem with one of our Customers and an XP machine. Although the main Regional Settings screens looked the same as yours there was a $ sign in the Customized settings.

If you click the Customize button next to the English (United Kingdom) and then the Currency tab you might find it is set to $.

Hope this helps.

Michael Humby
04-21-2007, 11:23 AM
I often experienced the same with users of Windows 98.

My cure is to set the Regional Settings to something that I do not want such as South African, then reboot, then reset again Regional Settings to English UK and reboot.

Don't know why but this always seems to work for me.

Michael

Esio Trot
04-23-2007, 07:24 AM
I often experienced the same with users of Windows 98.

My cure is to set the Regional Settings to something that I do not want such as South African, then reboot, then reset again Regional Settings to English UK and reboot.

Don't know why but this always seems to work for me.

Thanks for your reply. I don't see why it should, but I bet this will work for me as well once I try it:)

Ian_Edwards
04-23-2007, 08:01 AM
Hi

Have you found a solution yet? Are you talking about the web alpha sports or the desktop version?

Despite my best efforts I am unable to get my web server to display a £ sign

Tearing my hair out

thanks

Ian

Esio Trot
04-23-2007, 09:49 AM
Have you found a solution yet? Are you talking about the web alpha sports or the desktop version?

I have A5v8 desktop and am using XP professional. I have now tried Michael's suggestion, and am very pleased to say it works (Thanks Michael!).

Despite my best efforts I am unable to get my web server to display a £ sign

Being a web server, it might again be a M$ problem if your server is not running under Linux. I have a few simple websites, but do no merchandising, all on a Linux Platform. Thus I can offer no insights for your web problem.

It might be useful to expand on your original thread in Server v8 forum and state what web platform you are using. I'm sure it must be a more common problem, because as a test I changed regional settings to Zimbabwean Dollers and opened my database (plus AlphaSports) and both showed Z$ as the currency. Thus users in other countries must have encountered this.

Ian_Edwards
04-23-2007, 10:00 AM
Thanks I'll do that

Ian