PDA

View Full Version : Hello from a New Member

ABC123

Adrian Williams
02-20-2007, 03:26 PM
Hello All,
I've been using Alpha for about 10 years now - an Alpha4v4 application is still running strong generating quality certificates daily. I've used Alpha5 v5,6&7 and am currently developing a job scheduling application. It would be nice to share our experience and knowledge and I'm looking forward to getting help as and when. I may even be able to offer help from time to time. Reading through the posts it would be great to be able to meet up occasionally, I believe a few members are in the Manchester (UK) area.
Regards
Adrian

Lance Gurd
02-21-2007, 03:38 AM
Hi Adrian,

And welcome to the forum.

Good luck with the job scheduling. I too would like to meet up with other users occasionally, even if it was in a central UK location.

Regards

Lance

Adrian Williams
02-21-2007, 03:49 AM
Thanks Lance.
I'm willing to travel. Midlands, no problem. Anyone else ?

Mike Vance
02-21-2007, 05:22 PM
Hi Adrian & Lance
I would like to meet up but it can be expensive from Guernsey. Airports such as Southampton are reasonably priced. I would have to hire a car and pay hotel bills from there.

Nevertheless I am keen to meet if we can have a reasonable attendance of say 10 or more.

Maybe we can exchange ideas and share knowledge etc through this forum. That's what it exists for. Best wishes. Mike

Adrian Williams
02-21-2007, 05:59 PM
I believe that flights from manchester to Southampton are available at a reasonable cost, (I'll have to look into it a bit more) So a Southampton meet may be an option.I used to drive regularly to Southampton but it's a long haul and ain't cheap anymore.

Mike Vance
02-22-2007, 12:57 AM
Southampton would be great. It would be nice if there were more interested in a meeting. Mike

Lance Gurd
02-22-2007, 04:07 AM
I live there, Need I say more!!

Tony Rutherford
02-23-2007, 06:15 AM
Hello Adrian,

I am based 25 miles away in Darwen.

In December, Graeme Smith of Ulysses Database Management Systems Ltd organised a user group meeting in Oxfordshire. About 10 people attended and we had a very useful meeting.

The next meeting is scheduled for 29th March. Contact Graeme at graeme@rostering-systems.co .uk or 01865 922222 for details.

Tony

Lance Gurd
02-23-2007, 06:55 AM
Tony,

Saw you mention this in the sleepy old uk thread, but you billed it as a training day, and you where awaiting invoice/details back.

I think what we want is an informal get together where ideas can be looked at/discussed.

Graeme,

A little more advertising (maybe on this forum) might get a better attendance. I am interested in some details, I will e-mail direct.

Tony Rutherford
02-23-2007, 07:03 AM
Lance,

The meeting consisted of a couple of presentations by members and general discussion about all sorts of Alpha-related issues.

The cost was £45, which covered the cost of the meeting room and lunch.

Tony

Keith Hubert
02-27-2007, 09:23 AM
Hi Adrian,

I am based in NW London, so we could meet up any time.

I have developed a job scheduling application some time ago so I might have some ideas for you.

The meeting we had in Oxford was informal and we exchanged some helpful ideas. The next meeting will 28/3/07. I think this is still to be confirmed.

Watch this space.

Adrian Williams
03-05-2007, 05:51 PM
Hello Keith

I'm afraid the 28th March would be a problem due to work commitments. Good luck if it goes ahead.

Biggergun
03-11-2007, 08:41 PM
Hi Adrian

I live in Stockport and have also been using Alpha 5 for around 10 years.

Be good to meet and maybe help each other

Regards

Steve

Adrian Williams
03-11-2007, 09:52 PM
Hello Steve.
I'm taking a week off work next week. If there's a convenient time for a chat that week, that'll be fine.

Biggergun
03-12-2007, 04:25 PM
Hi Adrian

Unfortunately I will be at work until 6.00 every night, so can make it after that if you like. Which part of Manchester do you live in?

Steve

Adrian Williams
03-12-2007, 04:27 PM
I'll PM you with a bit more info

Claire Armstrong
10-16-2008, 01:25 PM
Hi (if anyone is still about!)
I have all versions of Alpha from the first one in 2000 but very sadly although I have sat with the tutorials for some hours I cannot get the very basics into my head it seems that there is no logic and the tutorials that I have seen don't seem to help me.

I woudl love to have someone go through the basics so that I can get going? I tried a USA linked Skype conference but by the time I got Skype and paid the credit that I needed I wasn't in time to link in !

I have had many deaths in my family lately and I really need to get my head into something and progress my business.

I can pay someone to help me. I am one of those people that once it clicks, I can teach it ! I just probably haven't spent long enough trying to work it out. I have two databases that I wan to make, one fairly straight forward and the other much more involved.
I have been let down 6 times by others trying to make me a database & I am fed up with it.
I would so love to get into this it looks so good and I have invested so much into it, so if anyone (anywhere) in the Country can help I would love to hear from you I am currently in Norfolk but traveling to Dorset soon then in a while back to North Scotland so I am likely to be close to you!
Post here or call 07721 331991.

Keith Hubert
10-16-2008, 07:32 PM
I have spoken with Claire and will meet up with her in a couple of weeks.