PDA

View Full Version : Forms vs xDialogs

ABC123

forskare
03-07-2008, 07:13 PM
Today is an off day for me and since it was -30 (-34.44444444444444) this morning, I figured this would be a good time to watch the v9 videos. Xdialogs have come a long, long way. I remember when they first broke onto the scene and how excited Selwyn was to present them to us. Ha! If the the Dialogs at that time were what they are in v9, I don't see how Selwyn could have even spoke. At best, he would have only studdered.

When I first began working with databases in the A4 days, I wanted as much information on the form as possible. I wanted everything to be as handy as possible and used tabbed objects a lot. And, even today, I still like that format. But, that style is not for everyone.

I think for most users, the forms must be as sparse and concise as possible. Even so, that has issues as well; such as too many forms if the db is of any significant size. To over come this, there must be a few general categories which lead to a form or dialog with all categories associated with that particular general category.

There are now so many possibilities with v9 on the horizon, I'm sure this subject has only been scratched by Selwyn and crew. Anyhow, since xdialogs can now do so many things, I'm wondering about the pros and cons of using them instead of forms? I'm also wondering what 'wild' thoughts any of you have about how they can be used. At this point, it's time for a walk becausww, after watching the videos, I'm a bit numb. It's time to do some serious brainstorming and let it soak in.

I suspect v9 will be the best version yet.

Thanks,

kenn

p.s. When I learned v9 was imminent, I decided to hold off on it for several months because of the pricing structure. Now, I don't think I can. This Alpholic has a very severe drooling problem.

mmaisterrena
03-07-2008, 07:45 PM
In my opinion the one of the main advantages of xdialog now has dissapear and im talking about the capablity to conect to external databases now with active links you can do tha same with forms, personaly I dont like xdialog because they look Ugly and are not as easy to set up as forms.

In the other hand now you can insert xdialogs into forms so this new feature will definetly expand the posibilities of both

Tim Kiebert
03-07-2008, 07:47 PM
Today is an off day for me and since it was -30 (-34.44444444444444) this morning, I figured this would be a good time to watch the v9 videos.

p.s. When I learned v9 was imminent, I decided to hold off on it for several months because of the pricing structure. Now, I don't think I can. This Alpholic has a very severe drooling problem.

Does anyone esle see a problem here. An Alphaholic with a drooling problem going for a walk when its -30. ;)

forskare
03-07-2008, 10:53 PM
Does anyone esle see a problem here. An Alphaholic with a drooling problem going for a walk when its -30. ;)

We're a hardy bunch. :cool: A few years ago, we had many mornings in the -20 range, a dozen or so in the -30 range, 6 or so mornings in the -40 range a 3 in the -50 range. When it was the coldest, it felt warm during the day although the high was in the -20's. Fortunately, those temps are not every winter or I would leave Dodge.

OK Tim, weigh in with your 2 cents worth. :D

kenn

Mike Wilson
03-07-2008, 11:38 PM
I think it was the frozen drool at -34 degrees that begged the question Tim introduced. The image of that is.... well... yes..... frightening!

Tim Kiebert
03-07-2008, 11:54 PM
We're a hardy bunch. :cool: A few years ago, we had many mornings in the -20 range, a dozen or so in the -30 range, 6 or so mornings in the -40 range a 3 in the -50 range. When it was the coldest, it felt warm during the day although the high was in the -20's. Fortunately, those temps are not every winter or I would leave Dodge.

OK Tim, weigh in with your 2 cents worth. :D

kenn

Well, my 2 cents are almost on par with your 2 cents at the moment.

I just had this vision of a man wandering the streets of Walker with a far away stare and a happy grin sporting a beard of saliva stelagtites. :D

I used to live in Ontario Canada (18 years) so I know what -30 feels like plus humidity plus wind chill. Brrrr. Now I get to experience 48C every now and then. Thats official temp so in the sun on bare earth we are talking in the mid 50s (55 degree Celsius = 131 degree Fahrenheit) That is when the sun dial says beer o'clock.

Anyway, meanwhile back at the ranch, I think we were talking about forms and dialogs.

I have played with the feature of embedding a browse in an xdialog. It is very easy to set up. You basically end up with xdialog code that you run as a script. I created two. One on the customer table and another on the product table. I then combined the code into one script and ended up with two completeley unrelated and disconnected browse in one dialog.

Having unrelated data on an xdialog is not new but having it in the form of a standard browse with all the formatting options and features of a regular browse and building it in ten minutes is awsome.

EDIT:
Mike, you beat me to it. Isn't it just a bother when work intreupts your forum relpies.

Bob Arbuthnot
03-08-2008, 12:12 AM
Ken,

or I would leave Dodge.

As a native Kansan, I feel compelled to correct your expression. The correct phraseology (in these parts, at least) is to "get the hell out of Dodge."

There's a strong possibility, though, that you Minnesotans are just more refined than us lower midwesterners!

Bob Arbuthnot

forskare
03-08-2008, 01:25 AM
Ken,

As a native Kansan, I feel compelled to correct your expression. The correct phraseology (in these parts, at least) is to "get the hell out of Dodge."

There's a strong possibility, though, that you Minnesotans are just more refined than us lower midwesterners!

Bob Arbuthnot

Well Bob, I'm not sure if we're a bit more refined, but an expression of various sorts of "gettin' out of Dodge" is used around here. I drove thru your fair city a couple of times going to and from Albuquerque. Once you get past the Nebraska speed traps, it's a great drive.

Ha! now they're talking about the possibility of some rain on Wednesday! Go figure!!

kenn

Lance Gurd
03-09-2008, 10:08 AM
I think it is a ditto for Ken's p.s., I also cant wait to buy and get it all working.

Re- Forms vs xdialogs; I had, in V8, already started changing a lot of my forms to xdialog because I like the way they handle as MDI forms when everybody has different screen sizes, resolutions and even orientation (I like my 17" monitor in portrait as it looks more like the sheet of paper that will print out). Now with the browse capabilities, as pointed out by Tim, and the new html there is no problem with converting them all over. Just cant wait for the new help files so I dont have to keep going over the videos to see how each bit is done.

Keep it up Selwyn and the gang

martinwcole
03-09-2008, 11:18 AM
Ken, the coldest I've ever experienced was in your neighborhood - Bimidji, Minn -40 something, -44 I think. Anyway, I was a salesman working the iron range, and driving a brand new Chrysler. I had the radiator completely covered with cardboard. And it still would not get warm inside the car.

I also remember patrolling the Chech border, with a strong wind at -36, and reading the Stars and Stripes that it was 96 back in Marfa, Tx, wondering what I was doing there!!

Back to Alpha, I suspect V9 will be the most profound update ever. Certainly since I started using, maybe 10 years ago. I haven't heard anyone mention it yet, but I'm wondering about the possibility of converting an existing "dbf" adb to an "sql" adb. Not even using dbfs, except where preferred.

forskare
03-09-2008, 06:27 PM
Ken, the coldest I've ever experienced was in your neighborhood - Bimidji, Minn -40 something, -44 I think. Anyway, I was a salesman working the iron range, and driving a brand new Chrysler. I had the radiator completely covered with cardboard. And it still would not get warm inside the car.

I also remember patrolling the Chech border, with a strong wind at -36, and reading the Stars and Stripes that it was 96 back in Marfa, Tx, wondering what I was doing there!!

Back to Alpha, I suspect V9 will be the most profound update ever. Certainly since I started using, maybe 10 years ago. I haven't heard anyone mention it yet, but I'm wondering about the possibility of converting an existing "dbf" adb to an "sql" adb. Not even using dbfs, except where preferred.

Hey Martin,

Bemidji misses you! I heard something about snow down your way. Tis it true?

kenn

martinwcole
03-09-2008, 06:31 PM
believe it or not, it actually snowed - but it typically melts in a few hours down in this part of Texas. Is quite different in NW Texas, though, like Lubbock and Amarillo.