PDA

View Full Version : Caution on Duplicating Active Link Tables

ABC123

Tom Mills
03-09-2008, 04:29 PM
When you right-click on an Active Link Table and choose Utilities, Duplicate is one of your choices. When you select that, you have 2 options

a) Native A5 table
or
b) New active link table. And you're told it will contain data from the table from which it is bound.

It does NOT create a new table with new data, it creates a second active link table connected to 1 table. So if you decide to delete or change data, you are deleting/changing data in both links.

I personally think this should be made more clear when you duplicate the active link table. Our A5 experience has taught us that duplicating a table and including the data creates a totally separate data table.

I think data will be lost if it is not more explicit.

Selwyn Rabins
03-10-2008, 07:13 PM
When you right-click on an Active Link Table and choose Utilities, Duplicate is one of your choices. When you select that, you have 2 options

a) Native A5 table
or
b) New active link table. And you're told it will contain data from the table from which it is bound.

It does NOT create a new table with new data, it creates a second active link table connected to 1 table. So if you decide to delete or change data, you are deleting/changing data in both links.

I personally think this should be made more clear when you duplicate the active link table. Our A5 experience has taught us that duplicating a table and including the data creates a totally separate data table.

I think data will be lost if it is not more explicit.

I have added to the explanation on the dialog:

(This option creates a new active-link table. When you open the table, it will be populated with data from the remote table to which it is bound.

IMPORTANT: This option does NOT duplicate the table in the remote database, it simply duplicates the local active-link table definition.);