PDA

View Full Version : Maps and Royalties

ABC123

trackmanpete
03-09-2008, 11:10 PM
I was talking to a friend, discussing the new google and yahoo maps on forms. He ran into issues with Google demanding royalties on a commercial program using Google maps for a delivery program. Has anyone here run into that kind of problem? Would there be an issue of royalties due to Google for using Google's product?

fddizon
03-10-2008, 05:22 AM
I was talking to a friend, discussing the new google and yahoo maps on forms. He ran into issues with Google demanding royalties on a commercial program using Google maps for a delivery program. Has anyone here run into that kind of problem? Would there be an issue of royalties due to Google for using Google's product?

Pete,

do google receives royalty from famous internet browsers? i thought the use of google map between browsers and a commercialy made program is basicaly the same. i just wonder..

Bill Griffin
03-10-2008, 08:02 AM
No mention of royalties in Google's terms of service. Here (http://code.google.com/apis/maps/terms.html)

trackmanpete
03-10-2008, 09:32 AM
This is what may be at issue

The API may be used only for services that are generally accessible to consumers without charge. Accordingly, You may not use the API for any service that requires a subscription or other restricted access, or for which a fee is charged.

Now if you charge for a custom database that uses Google Maps, doesn't the above restrict that?

Bill Griffin
03-10-2008, 09:51 AM
If I was as concerned about this as you are, I would contact google directly.

I have read articles (but they were years ago) that google does not charge royalties, but things change (and quickly) in this wonderful world. So going to the horse's mouth is probably your best best

jkletrovets
03-10-2008, 02:30 PM
Just a thought....technically I don't think you are using the API if you are using Google maps because you are just passing a text string as the url to the main google maps site that happens to contain your address info. I have always understood the API to mean that you are actually using their software tool(s) to help create your software.

Regards,

Jeff

trackmanpete
03-10-2008, 08:42 PM
Thanks, Jeff. It was just an interesting conversation with my friend, who knew about Google going after a national company that made software for drivers that used the Google mapping. I don't know how involved the programming was that caused Google to get involved.