PDA

View Full Version : Can't see fresh data in MySql until closing

ABC123

Anis
03-11-2008, 04:25 PM
and re-openning form or browse.

I know this question has been asked before, even the good old REFRESH DISPLAY F5 doesn't do the trick on the browse, the only way to see an activelink table new data is to exit and re-open the form or browse.

Does anyone know the trick?
The table I'm using is read_only in A5.

Raymond Lyons
03-12-2008, 03:20 AM
F5 works for me on a browse. Not sure what you mean by the tabel being read only.

Ray

NoeticCC
03-12-2008, 08:33 AM
Not sure what you mean by the tabel being read only.
When setting up an active link table, you can set whether or not it is read only, or set individual fields to read only.

Anis
03-12-2008, 11:13 AM
This is strange, could it be because my table is large (250,000) and it increases by 1000 records every few minutes ?

Doug Page
03-12-2008, 01:46 PM
Anis,

When the browse is open, try using the VCR controls and see if they work. If hitting the last record button doesn't seem to work, I would then try hitting the first record button then the last record button.

Do remember that browses are not "live" lists of data, they show a snap shot at the time. I do not believe that it has anything to do with the size of your data file as it is relatively small. However, when you click the last record button, it is going to get record info at that time and then run through the data. By the time it gets there, many new records will have been added and will not be shown. And if this data is remote (on another computer) then the time will be greater. Any software that I have run across that deals with quickly added records, usually takes all of this into account and deals with things in a snap shot mode. No matter what software you develop in, the results will be the same.

Anis
03-12-2008, 02:07 PM
The VCR control works fine but slow.
In any case if you have a form or browse that's open, and you need to show the new data without closing either one, what do you do ?

I have a form that has a calculated fields and by adding more orders on Mysql I need to refresh the data without closing the form, is that possible?

Raymond Lyons
03-12-2008, 03:09 PM
Possibly it is the read only difference (mine is not), or maybe it is something about your form. In any case, I have a mysql database and F5 refreshes the record I am on. As Doug said, the size of your Db should not matter. Somewhere I read that V9 only retrieves data for 50 records at a time (50 more if you page down more than 50, I presume). All this data goes into cache, meaning it is a snapshot, not live data. F5 (or beginning to edit) will refresh data in the record you are on but it will NOT refresh everything in the cache, meaning, for example, that data 500 records back up in your browse (cache) will not be refreshed. I see your problem with added records but have no answer. As for data in a record you are currently dealing with (going to edit or view while you are on that record) F5 should do it. But in browse that won't update data you can see, say, 3 records down in the browse.

Ray

Anis
03-12-2008, 03:23 PM
Thanks Raymond, but I actually thought there's a way of showing the extra records added in the sql database if you have a browse or a form opened, not just the edited data.