PDA

View Full Version : very cumbersome scroll bar V9

ABC123

Anis
03-11-2008, 05:12 PM
dragging the scroll bar to the end of the file of 240,000 in a bowse mode seems to be impossible. so many trials with no avail.

jkletrovets
03-11-2008, 05:24 PM
Anis

Just thinking out loud here....but I think Alpha will have a better chance of identifying what is going with your issue if you give them more detail.

Regards,

Jeff

Anis
03-11-2008, 05:41 PM
Thanks.

Tom Cone Jr
03-11-2008, 08:45 PM
Anis,

Just thinking out loud here... but I question any design choice which requires the end user to manually scroll through so many records to find a record.

Regards,

Tom

Anis
03-11-2008, 09:23 PM
But really that's not the point, it's not part of the design. I'm just checking records before the actual design ends.

Tom Cone Jr
03-11-2008, 09:43 PM
Right. The scroll should work. If you have a reproducible example suggest you submit it as a bug report, including sufficiient data and instructions so that they can see the bug, too. From what you've posted so far we can't tell if your using a native table, a passive link table, or an active link table, for example

trackmanpete
03-11-2008, 09:45 PM
What happens if you push Page Down and/or End? What if you used a button that goes to last record? Scrolling through almost 250,000 records would seem pretty time consuming....

Anis
03-11-2008, 10:00 PM
I thought I mentioned that earlier, it's an active link table. The page down works fine but not the end key.
I can send the table if I import to alpha5 but this is active link to MySql table that's busy adding records.

So it's kind of hard to reproduce from my data.

Tom Cone Jr
03-11-2008, 11:14 PM
Not sure why it would be difficult to reproduce. Can't you copy the mySQL data and then explain in the bug report how to setup a test to demonstrate the problem?

Anis
03-11-2008, 11:41 PM
Yes that is what I meant, I need to import the data to a table, and zip the data base, but I don't know if it's going to do the same thing.

Mysql data is accumulating over a 1000 records every few minutes, and if the market is busy it accumulates many thousands, so that part is hard to produce.

Tom Cone Jr
03-12-2008, 06:31 AM
Has it occurred to you that this rapid growth of the table might affect one's ability to scroll through the records? The scrollbar control has to adjust for the size of the table. Your table is growing very quickly. Recommend you copy off a snapshot of your table and determine if the scroll bar works with a static table of your size. If so, then that would suggest that it's not the scroll bar control but your rapidly growing table that's causing the behavior you see.

Next...
It sounds as though you're experimenting with the beta version using live data. Do you think that's wise?

And...
No, if you import the SQL data to an Alpha Five table and submit it in a bug report you won't be giving the tech guys at Alpha the chance to recreate the problem you're having. They should be given the SQL data itself, so they can try to connect to it with an active link table to study the scrollbar behavior. Do you see the difference?

Anis
03-12-2008, 11:07 AM
Well, the SQL database is a live table in a test environment, (duplicate copy)
I tested the scroll bar in a large static table and it acts much better than the one with active link.
Remember, we have a new feature that we have been waiting for and it's a great feature, all I'm trying to do here is to see if Alpha crew can determine if this is a bug and weather it could be fixed.

I'll be more than happy to actually have one of Alpha5 programers login to my PC and see the problem live.

jkletrovets
03-12-2008, 11:26 AM
Anis

I have to agree with Tom. If you are adding over 1000 records every few minutes, I am not sure what type of behavior you can expect from the browse since Alpha will constantly be trying to show the records in the browse order specified. I am not sure how "smoothly" this could act given the number of records you are adding and how fast they are getting added.

If the browse acts the same way on a static table, then as Tom suggested, it seems you might be well served to prepare a sample that simulates your actual environment for Alpha and submit it as a bug report.

Regards,

Jeff

NoeticCC
03-12-2008, 11:50 AM
What is the purpose of this browse?

It doesn't make sense to display ALL records visually if the intention is for someone to be able to look at current/new info in the table.

Try filtering the browse or the passive link table to include only the latest 1000 records - this is the only sensible way to view the latest data if you're dealing with a table that has so many records added in such a short time...

Anis
03-12-2008, 11:51 AM
I agree. The bottom line is to see if A5 V9 could handle the amount of data real time. That's the big question.

NoeticCC
03-12-2008, 12:01 PM
I agree. The bottom line is to see if A5 V9 could handle the amount of data real time. That's the big question.

It could I am sure, but I suspect browses were just not designed for this purpose.

Anis
03-12-2008, 12:16 PM
That's why I'm testing forms and reports currently to see the capabilities.

Selwyn Rabins
03-12-2008, 12:53 PM
dragging the scroll bar to the end of the file of 240,000 in a bowse mode seems to be impossible. so many trials with no avail.

you have an active-link table, and when you drag the scroll bar to the end, you are telling a5 to fetch all 240,000 records from your server and bring them down to the client.

this takes time.

if you click the "Last record' button on the vcr control, your status bar will show the progress.

there is nothing 'cumbersome' about this. this is what is to be expected with a large active-link table.

The bottom line is that treating an active-link table as if it were a local table is unrealistic. With a local table jumping to the end is immediate.

You might want to think about defining your active link table with a filter that user an argument. Then when you open the table, you supply the argument value and a5 limits the number of records in the view.

Anis
03-12-2008, 01:02 PM
Thanks Selwyn