PDA

View Full Version : XL Report Format

ABC123

Chris.Tanti
03-13-2008, 01:24 PM
Looking at the new features of Platinum, just noticed (tucked away in a little section) a note regarding XL being one of the formats that reports can now save to. May not sound like a big deal with all the other features being touted, but it would be a big bonus to me, and something that would help me get the budget for further licenses.

Has any one tried this yet? What version of XL does it save to, is it the later v8 (office 2003) type or even the new xlsx version.

How well does the formatting carry through, do columns and rows translate well, do textual enhancements also follow over (font, size, bold, italic etc).

I have previously used Crystal Reports, and its had this facility for years, I have to also use SPSS to try and get decent XL crosstabs out of A5, so anything like this is a big bonus.

BTW, a decent cross tabber would have been a great feature, I know crosstab is in A5, but I just don't get on with it. Something along the line of Excels Pivot Tables feature, with drag and drop rows and columns, and the ability to choose the summary type would be spot on.

aschone
03-13-2008, 03:16 PM
What is XL?

Chris.Tanti
03-13-2008, 03:33 PM
Apologies,

Microsoft Excel, force of habbit.

Richard Rabins
03-15-2008, 03:43 PM
this featured was added for the www.qreportbuilder.com product - where we were told it would be a useful feature - so we added it Alpha Five PLATINUM too.

Chris.Tanti
03-17-2008, 07:52 AM
Thanks Richard,

As mentioned, its probably seems a minor addition, but our clients have been really pushing for reports in .xls as apposed to PDF, and this has not been possible without writing a custom export in A5 or using another application to create the files (which is not deal). The ability to deliver an .xls sheet over the web would also be very useful (we have this working at the moment on .pdf only).

I would appreciate some indication of the type of the Excel sheet and formatting applied if possible.

NoeticCC
03-17-2008, 08:12 AM
Thanks Richard,

As mentioned, its probably seems a minor addition, but our clients have been really pushing for reports in .xls as apposed to PDF, and this has not been possible without writing a custom export in A5 or using another application to create the files (which is not deal). The ability to deliver an .xls sheet over the web would also be very useful (we have this working at the moment on .pdf only).

I would appreciate some indication of the type of the Excel sheet and formatting applied if possible.

Check this out... Not formatting applied but better than nothing: http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/alphaforum/showthread.php?t=69208

What *I* would do is generate the report in the background, copy to the session folder and then redirect to the file - if the user has Excel or another spreadsheet app installed it should open it....